Ranger VS Gator XUV

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #71  
Red 2 what you been smoking. Ranger beats gator in every cat. especially suspension and 4x4. My 04 and 07 havenot had one penny expense. jLocdkand ride bed alone is reason enough to choose ranger. Oh Gator is prettier, but seat is a killer. I savedmuy mones to but gator 4x4 and when I sat in it I didn't even drive seat is so poor.
gp

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #72  
I have a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500. It is carburated. It sits in a storage container more than a month at a time. It always starts. I have never had any problem with the belt drive and the beauty of it is the simplicity and ease of repair. The ranger does not have the beef of the Kubota but you can trash a tank with enough abuse. I have had the magnetic activating plates in the front axles hang up but that is a $10 item.

Now that I am older I would have bought a polaris or gator style atv because they are much more versitile. I recently had a chance to drive a 5 year old gator. It seemed well built but like a hardtail without any suspension it would shake out your fillings.

lol

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #73  
I vote for the Gator 850D as well.
Been using mine less than a year, have 300 hrs on it and it's as tough as old boots. Still looks like new and has been working very hard.
Any problems have been minor and easily sorted without dealer so far.
It has simply revolutionised the way I do things on the farm.
Uses are endless, right now, I'd be lost without it.

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #74  
I would have to go with the gator too. We've had a few utv's over the years on the ranch including 2 6x4 diesels and if the new 850d is built as well it should last years.
We also have the Kaw mule 3110 diesel which is reliable but cant handle the extremely rough terrain we have to work in.
The Kubota is built well but is like driving a block of lead.
We also have an 07 6x6 700 efi Ranger which is the worst machine we have ever owned.
From day one only problems. It is a good concept and can carry a large payload but other than that the build seems to be kind of half assed. Many simple parts have broken (way to much plastic for a work vehicle) and the driveline and suspension is always needing work and not very reliable.
When its running the ride is very smooth but it also cant handle rough rocky terrain as well as JD and we dont buy these work machines for nice comfortable riding.
Just my 2 cents.

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #75  
Can't speak for the gator but I have a horror story on the ranger. We have a 6 wheeler that gets used just about dailey year around. Two years ago, wife seizes engine. Turns out the remote oil sump got water in it, froze solid overnight and when she used it the engine was oil starved and seized up. Polaris offered no help despite us being original owner. They said we must have submerged it in a pond. We did not. Only thing I could think of was a lot of start/stops without letting engine come to temp created condensation which built up over the winter but I'm not sure that explains the quantity of water they said was in the oil. Anyway, $3500 and a new engine later here we are. Other than that it runs well but I think a remote oil sump feeding the oil through a rubber line is a sucky design unless you live in florida and I was NOT impressed with polaris's support.

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #76  
Does anybody know what the bolt pattern/spacing is on the 2010 850d rims?

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #77  
Well, just answered my own question. 5 bolts not 4 so that rules out putting the 12" rims with 26" MT ITP's on it that came off the ranger.
Our dealer has the 620i with the slip on exhaust. Sounds like a Harley. Very nice.
Any thoughts on the 620 compared to the 850d?? Our 4x6 is diesel and is rock solid so I'm inclined to stay with D.

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #78  
Stay with the diesel in the Gator. It has much more power than does the gasoline one.

John

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #79  
Paystar said:
Never tried a John Deere utv but I've been happy with all my Polaris products. Held up well for both play and commercial work (firewood hauling with trailers and plowing all winter). Had a recall once for an engine ecm (drained the battery) and that's it (other than recalls from Warn winches for contractors). I would never hesitate to buy a Polaris product. One complaint I have with the ranger though, is the seat does not slide and my wife is short so she can't drive it. She can only reach the pedals sitting on the front edge of the seat. Don't know if there is an aftermarket fix for this? She is more suited to my friends Cub Cadet Volunteer as it has sliding seats.

Hey I bought both the cub cadet volunteer and the Polaris 800 xp ranger trying to compare them is like comparing apples to oranges. The Polaris is way FAST! In my opinion too fast, unsafely so. The volunteer has truck like A-arms and drive shafts and is built like a TANK, but only 32mph which is fast as u should go safely.