Utility vehicale for hauling dirt and gravel

/ Utility vehicale for hauling dirt and gravel #1  

mazurrj

Bronze Member
Tractor
B3030,Big Boss4x6 ATV
Looking for a utility vehical to haul dirt and gravel. From what I've seen the Ranger 6x6 has payload of 1750, i looked at the specs on the Bobcat toolcat, it looks like will haul a lot more but pretty pricey. My main use is haul dirt and gravel a couple of miles on trails in a state park. Trails are fine for utility vehical. Gets a little mor difficult with dump truck so looking for utility vehical that can haul the most. The Gator and Kubota look like they haul less. But i know maybe i should not just be going by the payload.

/ Utility vehicale for hauling dirt and gravel #2  
mazurrj,

I've hauled a lot of loads of dirt in an HPX Gator. I loaded it with a Toolcat to the point it was falling off the sides. The Gator handled it fine but it wasn't that much dirt. I've also loaded the Toolcat with dirt to the point it was falling off the sides. Not a problem but it still wasn't that much dirt.

When I built my house I hauled a lot of material with a dump trailer that I pulled with an 84hp Deere. That hauled quite a bit more.

Maybe consider renting a unit for a week to see how it works. Most of the utility vehicles will haul and dump as much dirt or gravel as you can put in the dump bed but it isn't that much when compared to a dump truck.

dsb

/ Utility vehicale for hauling dirt and gravel #3  
Have you checked into a small dump trailer that can be pulled behind a tractor?

/ Utility vehicale for hauling dirt and gravel #4  
If you are hauling dirt and gravet in a state park are you getting paid? What is your budget and what are doing with the dirt and gravel when you get it there?

I would sugest renting a skid steer with rubber tracks. It will tear up the trails less that a utv. Loading the bed of a utv with a shovel is one heck of alot of work. If you get stuck with a full loaded utv you mau need to dump and reload(by hand). With a skid steer you can drop your load dig yourself out with the bucket and pick the load up and be on your way(and fix the ruts).

/ Utility vehicale for hauling dirt and gravel #5  
Wouldn't a 5' or 6' loader bucket hold as much as a UTV's dump box?

/ Utility vehicale for hauling dirt and gravel #6  
yes I do exactly what you are wanting to do. I have trails that i like to mulch for walking purposes and haul dirt to fix ruts, ect.

I own two Polaris ranger 4x4 with a 1500 lb pawload.
they will haul the load fine and are great.

I load them with a bobcat t300 tracked skid steer. i usually just haul the load in the bucked because the bucked carries more than a utv. the bobcat is also slow tho 6 mph top speed so just driving around all day on trails will not be fun and will take forever.

the bobcat will load the ranger all the way with just one bucket load (there is actuallly too much dirt in the bucket so i cant use a full buket scoop.

hope this helps.

Thanks
evanb

/ Utility vehicale for hauling dirt and gravel #7  
Get one of the small dump trailers from King Kutter and pull it with a utv. JC

/ Utility vehicale for hauling dirt and gravel
thanks everyone for the replys.

Yeah that what i was sort of thinking , how much more can i haul than i can with my Kubota B3030 tractor. Sometimes the park lets me use their dump truck or they haul some close to my work site for me. Conditions have to be pretty dry though as the truck dose a lot of damage when wet or close to getting stuck. the 4wheel drive truck is not easy to get all the time.
I almost did buy a dump wagon, but the park said be best not too because of hills and would need a wagon with brakes and bigger tractor than the B3030.
Then I'm back too too much weight on trails again, plus to expensive to get bigger tractor.
At this point I'll have about 14k to invest in something. most likely it sounds like i should just get the biggest utility vehicaile and use the dump truck to get it close as possible to work site that i can and not doing so much damage or getting stuck. then use my tractor or utility???
Someone asked do i get paid, no, its my stress realease. do not have the money to buy a lot of land but like to play with this stuff outdoors, so volunteering next best thing. Plus i benifet in the winter with better wider xc-trails. We groom and track them so its pretty nice in winter.

New Page 1

/ Utility vehicale for hauling dirt and gravel #9  
Okay, maybe there are reasons that you and the department guys want a UTV other than hauling -- but it sure looks like a waste of money to me.

One of the small dump wagons from Country Manufacturing will hold a bunch, for one tenth of your budget. As for steep trails and no brakes --- nothing says you have to fill the trailer to the top when going in areas that might cause a problem. I am not familiar with a B3030, but if it is anywhere close to a 30 HP CUT, I wouldn't be real concerned. I have had my Country wagon filled with wet gravel to the point that the tires were flattening out, and my 4410 pulled it and stopped it just fine. I didn't have any serious grades involved, though.

Here's the one I have:

farmm-8300b.gif

And here's a link to their site:

Country Manufacturing 2-ton wagon

If you want a UTV to run the trails and get people where they need to be, go ahead, but buying one to haul materials is a mistake.