Floating the bucket on a Bobcat

/ Floating the bucket on a Bobcat #1  

Anonymous Poster

The manual for my 753 G-series says to use the bucket float position only in reverse and that this feature is for smoothing gravel, etc. Yet, it would seem to me that the float position would be ideal for many attachments going forward so that the implement would conform to the contours of the land. Two examples would be snow removal with the bucket and using a mower. Otherwise, the operator would be constantly trying to follow the ground contour by raising and lowering the lift arms or bucket tilt with foot pedals, which doesn't sound easy. In the case of snow removal, the lift arms could be floated while the bucket would be tilted up slightly so the rear of the bucket serves as a skid. Does anyone know of any reason the float position should not be used going forward? Thanks to anyone offering any experience or knowledge you may have. - alf

/ Floating the bucket on a Bobcat #2  
I could see that "...only using the float position in material that the leading edge would dig into" might be true, but I agree with your comment of using float for snow removal on a paved surface. The problem could be that between the power of the machine, and getting the bucket leading edge caught on something, a skid steer loader will tend to lift the front tires off the ground. This is due to the shortness of the overall machine, and the resultant downward angle of the lift arms when the bucket is on the ground.

/ Floating the bucket on a Bobcat #3  
Hey Alf, Ingersoll-Rand has to word there operation manual to people that have never been on a Bobcat for safety reasons, people that have experience on them and know what to expect from floating should have no problems at all.

/ Floating the bucket on a Bobcat
Bobcat has kindly answered my query as follows:Float may be used in the forward direction. However the lift arms usually press against the lift arm stop so you do not have float anyway. In reverse, the loader arms "float" as they pull up and away from the loader. Also float reduces the flow through the auxiliary hydraulics on some loaders. Thus you are limiting the hydraulic horsepower available to them. This is noticeable in attachments like Planers that need all the hydraulic horsepower they can get.