Bobcat 863

/ Bobcat 863 #1  

westbrooklawn

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3400HST
I have a chance to buy a Bobcat 863 with 895 hours. It has a 4 in1 bucket, and it appears to be in good shape and it runs well. The seller has a service receipt from a reputable local Bobcat dealer showing where he spent $6900 to have the machine totally gone over about 30 hours ago. Most of the parts were bolts, filters, fluids, bob tach, etc, and about $3500 labor. This supposedly put the machine in tip top shape. It is a 97 model. I can buy it for $10,500... it this a good price? Any comments, tips, etc would be appreciated.

/ Bobcat 863 #2  
I am a little concerned about the amount of $$$ for repairs on a machine with 900 hours. I don't have near that kind of expense on machines with 3X as many hours. Eleven years old with 900 hours is also a little strange. Those units had mechanical hour meters. Was it replaced? The 863 and 864 were good basic machines. If it is as you say, then yes the price is good but beware......

/ Bobcat 863 #3  
I had a lot of repairs on my '97 C series 863. It was a good machine but did have its share of leaks from o rings at the pump, head gasket at 900 hours, leaks from pin holes in tube lines, and replaced the bob-tach and had to have boom arms welded at the front. the later 863's had gussets welded to the boom arms for extra strength. worth doing if you get one. Otherwise, price doesn't seem too bad. They are fairly easy to work on and I liked the servo controls compared to modern machines.