Puddle of oil under Bobcat.... wheres it coming from?

/ Puddle of oil under Bobcat.... wheres it coming from? #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
I noticed a small puddle of oil under my Bobcat. It had been parked for about 2 weeks, and it was only a small amount so I didn't worry. I moved it and it sat again for about 3 weeks, and this time when I got home and looked under it and the puddle was significantly bigger this time.

It appears to be coming from under the engine compartment, possibly below the rear axle, I'd have to check again to be 100% sure. It didn't appear to be dripping when I looked, but the underside was damp around where the leak appeared to be from, and so was the floor of the barn.

When I changed the oil, I had was stupid and used a radiator filling funnel to fill the engine with oil. That kind of funnel has a much larger opening. Since the oil fill is recessed in the compartment, the funnel was at a weird angle and I know I spilled some oil over on to the other side of the engine. It was too dark to really tell exactly how much, but I know there was some.

So I'm wondering if its probably just engine oil, or if it may be something else that I need to be concerned about. Does the engine compartment have an opening that would allow the oil that I spilled to eventually work its way out? The machine was parked on a slightly forward slope that tilted the front down more than the rear.

I know that some people use engine oil as hydrostatic fluid as a "substitute" fluid in their machines, and I have yet to change the fluid sine I purchased it. I'm not sure if it has the Bobcat hydrostatic fluid, or engine oil in it. However, since the engine oil I spilled was perfectly clean I'm not sure if I can tell much of a difference.

The engine oil level does not appear to have changed. I haven't checked the hydraulic fluid level, however I really doubt it has changed either. If it is not the engine oil that I spilled, not a hydraulic leak, and not an oil leak from the engine, could it be anything else?

I have a gut feeling its just the engine oil that I spilled over the other side of the engine, but I just want to be safe!

Thanks for any input.

/ Puddle of oil under Bobcat.... wheres it coming from? #2  
So I'm wondering if its probably just engine oil, or if it may be something else that I need to be concerned about. Does the engine compartment have an opening that would allow the oil that I spilled to eventually work its way out?
~ and ~
Does the engine compartment have an opening that would allow the oil that I spilled to eventually work its way out? The machine was parked on a slightly forward slope that tilted the front down more than the rear.
I'd say yes, it has to have a drain for rain, snow, etc. Hopefully it's just some spill finding it's way out.
I'd carefully clean the engine compartment. there are degreasers that will do a good job and can be rinsed off with water. With a fresh clean engine area hopefully you'll find it was spilled oil...but, if it's a leak, a clean engine will help in isolating.

On a related note, I read with interest your process buying this machine. I was a little behind you doing the same skid steer hunting, ended up with an old New Holland L555 with 2200 hrs. I'm getting a few neglected issue resolved now, (spent $320.00 on a new suspension seat :rolleyes: ) but the engine, trans, and hydraulics appear to be solid and strong..

I hope this isn't a big problem for you...good luck

/ Puddle of oil under Bobcat.... wheres it coming from?
Thanks for your input. I really do need to give the machine a good cleaning, and for that matter, fresh paint. Like your machine, mine has had its few little issues (front tilt ram pin is heavily worn and needs new bushings, worn paint, the little adjustments that need to be made here and there) but it runs great and doesn't burn any oil, everything works, etc., so I think it'll be a good machine.

/ Puddle of oil under Bobcat.... wheres it coming from? #4  
Engine oil (diesels especially) tends to be real dark - oftentimes black after just a short time. Sure you can appreciate that with your Yanmar..

And the hydraulic oil tends to just be an amber color - even with lots of hours - unless it gets contaminated.

Kinda like honey vs tar...

Hopefully your problem is just what you described - you slopped some here and there on the side of the engine.

Cleaning everything up will greatly help with diagnosing any problem.

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ Puddle of oil under Bobcat.... wheres it coming from? #5  
You probably have side access panels and drain holes/plates on the front and back of the skidsteer. Remove/take them off and hose out the inside. There is probably lots of mud and debris in there if you haven't done it before. I try to clean it out at least once a year. the dirt and debris can hold oil for quite some time. Close everthing back up and see it it leaks again. If it does, start looking by the rear engine and raise the cab to get to the hoses, hydraulic valves etc. My bobcat 873 and 300 have 2 front opening plates and rear midline opening to drain the bottom. Should have an access panel on each side to also get a hose inside.

/ Puddle of oil under Bobcat.... wheres it coming from? #6  
Only have a triangle shaped hole about the size of a half dollar on each side thats useful as far as a drain to wash it out. Thats the most likely place they will leak to the outside unless its way full and leaks out the front holes or side covers but the actual leak could be anywhere inside. Control valves are a likely place to start looking for leaks on a B/C.