Coastal tractor transmission fluid ok for my Bobcat?

/ Coastal tractor transmission fluid ok for my Bobcat? #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
I want to work on my Bobcat some this weekend. I really want to figure out EXACTLY what is leaking (though I'm about 90% sure what it is) but I want to fill it up with fluid before I start using it some since its already low. This oil is for the hydraulic system, not the chaincase.

Is the Coastal brand tractor transmission fluid a good alternative to the Bobcat fluid? My machine is a 2000 Bobcat 753. As far as I know it needs to have an anti-foam additive, and its just basically hydrostatic fluid, correct?

Thanks for any help. My dealer is about an hour away, but there is a Advance Auto parts just down the road that I'm pretty sure carries this fluid.

Whats a good cheap oil to fill the chaincase with?

/ Coastal tractor transmission fluid ok for my Bobcat?
They had some JD 303 compliant fluid, with anti foam additives, etc. That should be a suitable alternative, right?

/ Coastal tractor transmission fluid ok for my Bobcat? #3  
Does it say on the bucket if you use it your Bobcat? If so, I don't see why. I saw on craigslist that some one was selling 5 gal for $30. I did't see what brand.

/ Coastal tractor transmission fluid ok for my Bobcat?
It doesn't say Bobcat on the bucket. That oil I am hoping to use for the hydraulic system by the way, not the chaincase. I've read some posts here and there about it but I just want to make sure its OK to use. I know that Bobcat says you can even use motor oil (can't remember the weight off hand) as an alternative in the hydraulic system. But it seems like this really can't be any different from the hydrostatic fluid that Bobcat uses, right?

/ Coastal tractor transmission fluid ok for my Bobcat? #5  
Make sure you get an answer back before you mix any fluids. Wish I knew. If you can I would run the cheaper fluid because a lot of people only use the machine on the weekends etc. Making sure you change the fluid to keep out moisture from sitting(condensation) is the most impoertant thing.

/ Coastal tractor transmission fluid ok for my Bobcat? #6  
the oil in bobcat hydro is closer to a 15/40 in the newer machines than it is to regular tractor hydraulic.

/ Coastal tractor transmission fluid ok for my Bobcat? #7  
Up until a couple of years ago Bobcat was ok with a GOOD quality 10-30 or 15-40 motor oil in the hydraulic system and the chaincase.

It shared most of the attributes they want in a hyd oil.
Your 753 will do fine on that.

No reason to use generic spec oil and risk messing it up.

BTW I would think cheaper motor oil would be fine in the chain case

/ Coastal tractor transmission fluid ok for my Bobcat? #8  
I own a 743B been told to use AW-68 by the person who rebuilds it and other Bobcats.
I feel good fluid is cheaper than replacing pumps etc.

Sam

/ Coastal tractor transmission fluid ok for my Bobcat? #9  
After I used tractor fluid in my 963 I read a note in the manual that tractor transmission fluid will cause damage. I replaced the seals in the motors but am having hydraulic fluid go into the chaincase from the hydraulic tank overnight.

Looks like the only other place for fluid to get there is through the brake release.

Still looking for the cause of the fluid transfer - maybe damaged the motors - ouch $2500 rebuild min. each.

I would use just the specified fluid or the specified engine oil 10w-30/10w40 SE above 0f