Tractor
    Bobcat 863

Default Bobcat 863 will not idle down

Good afternoon,
    I have a 1996 863 that i picked up a few years ago. I have about 3/4 of an acre next to a 3/4 acre lot. I use it mostly to just push out bushes and trees and level dirt from erosion and other minor things. It probably gets about 5-10 hours of use per year. Last I used it in the fall when I finished my work and pulled the throttle lever back the unit did not idle down. I didn't use it over the winter and got it out last weekend to use it and it's doing the same thing. As soon as it starts is literally jumps to a high RPM. You can rev it even higher with the throttle lever, but when you pull the throttle back it only drops a little in RPM. There is a bracket where the throttle lever attaches to this gray lever. Just above that is another lever not attached to anything. If I manually push that lever to the right when it's revving really high it will idle down. I don't know how to post a picture on here or else I would post a picture of that so you could see. Both are threaded like they could be connected, but all the pictures I found on the internet do not show them connected in any way.

This is my first skid loader. As I mentioned, it's light use. I have rebuilt the hydraulic control valve and done a few other minor repairs but this is the totally new to me.

Thanks in advance for any help, images, pages from a manual, or anything else that will help me. I am not afraid of the work but I don't want to be in there changing blinker fluid and turns out its the muffler bearings.

Silver Member

Default Re: Bobcat 863 will not idle down

That other lever is the "manual shut-off" lever.. you say its not hooked up, so therefore you must have an electric sh-off..
    It shuts down w/ the key switch??
    There is an electric solenoid in the front of the engine, inline w/ the injection pumps..
    If you use the manual s/o several times in a row..it might free up the control rack from whatever is holding it off of idle..
    Do it with & w/o the engine running..
    DONT exert to much force on the little lever.. they WILL break..

Tractor
    Bobcat 863

Ok, that is great to know that it's the manual shutoff so if it does ever not want to turn off I can.

Yes, it does turn off with the key so the electric s/o is working.

The manual s/o actually moved very very freely so hopefully I will not have to use any force. I will make sure to flip it several times while it's running and also turn it off that way the next time I use it. Fingers crossed that works.

I do appreciate this info. Trying to learn as much about this on the fly as I can.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra

By your description it sounds as if the governor or a component there of is or has failed.

Tractor
    Bobcat 863

Quote Originally Posted by Jabonee View Post
    By your description it sounds as if the governor or a component there of is or has failed.
    If it has, how hard is that to repair/replace?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra

If your engine is a deutz you will need to remove or partially remove the engine.

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

If the problem is in the governor the timing cover has to be removed. The governor is inside the the cover and will require shop service manual to set it up correctly. The throttle linkage is cable from handle in the cab back to a bellcrank the steel linkage rod to the engine lever control. Make sure both ends of the cable are secured in the clamps and cable has not stretched or broken.
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Tractor
    Bobcat 863

Quote Originally Posted by SSdoxie View Post
    If the problem is in the governor the timing cover has to be removed. The governor is inside the the cover and will require shop service manual to set it up correctly. The throttle linkage is cable from handle in the cab back to a bellcrank the steel linkage rod to the engine lever control. Make sure both ends of the cable are secured in the clamps and cable has not stretched or broken.
    Sorry for the slow reply, it has been a crazy month with a death in the family and many other things going on. I have a couple questions regarding your reply:
    1. If I disconnect the cable all together then shouldn't I be able to manually move the idle arm? Would I be able to rule out the cable that way?
    2. Is repairing the governor a project that a home mechanic can do or is it something that would need to go to a shop to be done (i.e specialty tools, computers, etc)?
    3. How hard is it to find a shop manual for this machine being this old? I have looked online for electronic versions but have not had much luck.

Thank you again for all the responses.

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by Dino615 View Post
    Sorry for the slow reply, it has been a crazy month with a death in the family and many other things going on. I have a couple questions regarding your reply:
    1. If I disconnect the cable all together then shouldn't I be able to manually move the idle arm? Would I be able to rule out the cable that way?
    2. Is repairing the governor a project that a home mechanic can do or is it something that would need to go to a shop to be done (i.e specialty tools, computers, etc)?
    3. How hard is it to find a shop manual for this machine being this old? I have looked online for electronic versions but have not had much luck.

Thank you again for all the responses.
    1. Yes. If you disconnect the cable at rear (engine compartment) you should be able to work the throttle by hand. It won't stay where you put it because that is done via a friction washer at the lever in the next to seat.
    2. I would not recommend this repair by the average "home mechanic".
    3. Full shop service manual is still available from Bobcat purchased through the dealer. It is available either in print or DVD in .pdf files. Not cheap but if serious about doing your own repairs it is a must have.
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.