Compact telehandler

/ Compact telehandler #1  

radman1

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806
I am considering replacing my S300 skid steer with compact telehandler such as a Versahandler v417. Drove the v417 2 days ago and pushed a little snow. It was actually nice to drive and turned fairly tightly (5' inside radius). Has lift of 4400 lbs and lift height of 17'. The dealer ,who I have used for over 10 years, says it will dig better than skid steer. I thought the hydraulics would be slow but it lifted as fast as a skid steer. I don't do a lot of digging dirt work but mostly used for lifting and other tasks. Would consider any other brands in the compact size. Any brand must be able to use standard skid steer attacment carrier because I have many other attachments-trencher, grapple, tree shear, manlift, snow plow etc.

The biggest disadvantages is the inability to see the bucket edge and near complete lack of visibility of the left corner/side of the bucket. I could just see the front of both pallet fork tines set to the widest setting of the tines. Not as nimble in tight areas. Any other disadvantages?

Biggest advantage for me over a skid steer is, the reach, more lift, larger tires, more clearance, ability to get in and out of cab with a raised load, and easier to get in and out.

Anyone with telehandler experience or opinions?
http://www.bobcat.com/versahandler/compare_models/v417

/ Compact telehandler
Will it have enough hydraulic flow for the trencher and shear?

MarkV

It puts out 21 gpm. The same as my skid steer. The psi is 3600+ for the telehandler and 3000 for the SS. 20% more psi should be noticable for both the trencher and shear. I have noticed some compact telehandlers don't have the gpm flow. Cat th255 has specs similar to the Bobcat but a little more weight, lift height and lift capacity.

/ Compact telehandler #4  
It puts out 21 gpm. The same as my skid steer. The psi is 3600+ for the telehandler and 3000 for the SS. 20% more psi should be noticable for both the trencher and shear. I have noticed some compact telehandlers don't have the gpm flow. Cat th255 has specs similar to the Bobcat but a little more weight, lift height and lift capacity.

FYI, not all compact telehandlers are rated for ground engagement. So if you want to do any digging, make sure you check into that. If you like the side entry, you may want to take a look at the JCB skids/ctls. They also make compact telehandlers.

/ Compact telehandler
FYI, not all compact telehandlers are rated for ground engagement. So if you want to do any digging, make sure you check into that. If you like the side entry, you may want to take a look at the JCB skids/ctls. They also make compact telehandlers.

I am looking for a bit more reach. Last we bought a new 16 row planter with center fill hoppers. They hold about 50, 50lb bags of seed or 2500 lbs. Last year we used bags of seed lifted up to the planter and removed the bags by hand to fill the hopper. Do this about 10-12 times with pallets of seed and it gets to be a chore. This year we want to use 2500 lb boxes of seed. The box needs to centered over the planter to dump. The skid steer with box on pallet forks, does not have the reach to dump over the center. I only need lift height of about 7-8' but 4-5' reach.

The other issue with most skid steers, is we often work alone. This requires getting out of the cab with the lift in the air. Never liked walking under anything lifted. (If the skid had failed the load would have landed on the planter but there are times when I have no choice.)

The increased height is always a plus to use with manlift to work on buildings, trim trees, work on irrigation pivots etc. I have an 8' tall manlift I use with forks now on the Toolcat and skid steer and it gives me good height but I could have more with the additional 16-18' lifts of a compact telehandler.

My dealer says the bobcat compact telehandler v417, is designed to push/dig. He says it will out dig my large frame skid steer. He said I can dig a basement if I wanted to. Some telehandler booms are designed with chains or cables in the boom combined with hydraulic cylinder to get the higher lifts. Usually seen with 3 stage booms. This model is designed only with a cylinder and 2 stage boom. I found a used one with 450 hours but BC has $4500 rebates at this time on new units.

It seems compact telehandlers have been much more common in Europe but have caught on in the US the past several years. Supposedly they are the fastest growing segment in the telehandler industry the past several years. The cost of the compacts are much less than the big boys. Weight of compacts are usually 9-11,000 lbs vs over 20,000 lbs for the big boys. Easier to haul the small ones.

I love the power of the bigger skid steers and the visibility up front is great. Can a compact telehandler replace my skid? Could I place a wireless backup camera on the boom with monitor in the cab to see the front better?

/ Compact telehandler #6  
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the Bobcat wasn't rated for ground engagement. You had mentioned a CAT model (made by JLG) and I'm pretty sure that they are not intended to be used just like a skid. I would check to see what mfgs besides Bobcat are carried by dealers in your area. These would include JLG, Terex (Genie), Manitou, Gehl, etc.. I suggest that you go sit in as many as possible, as the carriage visibility will vary. Also, if you intend to dig make sure you are clear about that. Actual digging may affect warranty on some units. As I've mentioned, some are only intended for bucket use in loose materials such as mulch.

As far as replacing a skid you will need to examine all your uses and make sure that a cth can handle them. Consider vehicle footprint and manueverability as well as capacity.

Remember that unless your camera is wireless, you will need a cord reel to account for the boom extension.

Last edited:
   / Compact telehandler
Villengineer

Thanks for the info. I just looking into the compact telehandler units. All I know is what I have read but did drive the BC unit. I will look at others but not too many units in my area. BC is the only one I have seen so far. Will explore other companies.

/ Compact telehandler #8  
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the Bobcat wasn't rated for ground engagement. You had mentioned a CAT model (made by JLG) and I'm pretty sure that they are not intended to be used just like a skid. I would check to see what mfgs besides Bobcat are carried by dealers in your area. These would include JLG, Terex (Genie), Manitou, Gehl, etc.. I suggest that you go sit in as many as possible, as the carriage visibility will vary. Also, if you intend to dig make sure you are clear about that. Actual digging may affect warranty on some units. As I've mentioned, some are only intended for bucket use in loose materials such as mulch.

a popular spot to crack for a telehandler, is where the extending boom is attached to the down section of the boom. the joint cracks when used for serious earthmoving.

/ Compact telehandler #9  
I personally would not buy a compact all terrain fork lift for digging.Unless
you move materials or need the extra lift capacity.Skid steers or loaders do
will be much more agile user friendlily. After saying all that i would like to own
one add to my framing business for the tight spots.Waiting for more of them
to be out there.Cost will come down some like the 6and 8 ton models.
Good luck.

/ Compact telehandler #10  
I am considering replacing my S300 skid steer with compact telehandler such as a Versahandler v417. Drove the v417 2 days ago and pushed a little snow. It was actually nice to drive and turned fairly tightly (5' inside radius). Has lift of 4400 lbs and lift height of 17'. The dealer ,who I have used for over 10 years, says it will dig better than skid steer. I thought the hydraulics would be slow but it lifted as fast as a skid steer. I don't do a lot of digging dirt work but mostly used for lifting and other tasks. Would consider any other brands in the compact size. Any brand must be able to use standard skid steer attacment carrier because I have many other attachments-trencher, grapple, tree shear, manlift, snow plow etc.

The biggest disadvantages is the inability to see the bucket edge and near complete lack of visibility of the left corner/side of the bucket. I could just see the front of both pallet fork tines set to the widest setting of the tines. Not as nimble in tight areas. Any other disadvantages?

Biggest advantage for me over a skid steer is, the reach, more lift, larger tires, more clearance, ability to get in and out of cab with a raised load, and easier to get in and out.

Anyone with telehandler experience or opinions?

A lot of guys aren't familiar with these machines, so thought I would revive this three year old thread, since it is the only thread that I found searching for Versahandler in this forum.

The Bobcat V518 and smaller V417 Compact Telehandlers are designed for ground engaging attachments. They will definitley out dig a skid steer. They also can extricate themselves from any stuck situation, if the motor is still running.

PB220003.JPG PB220005.JPG PB220010.JPG PB220012.JPG PB220013.JPG PB220014.JPG

Notice how dry the silt is on top, but under the top crust it is like pudding. I had driven across it with our UTV, no problem.
PB230018.JPG

In September 2009 I bought a used V518, to clean out our 30 year old 2 acre pond. The silt was 5' deep, the plan was to dump the silt on the backside of the dam.

PC120003.JPG PC120007.JPG PC120009.JPG PC120012.JPG

The silt pile.

P1010027 (Large).JPG P1010029 (Large).JPG PB300030 (Large).JPG

The V417 has a standard SSQA, the V518 attachment carrier is different, but an adapter is available for skid steer attachments. Both have aux hydraulics on the boom.