Can my 80hp track steer handle an 88" bucket?

/ Can my 80hp track steer handle an 88" bucket? #1  

jmfox

Platinum Member
I am considering buying a new bucket for my ASV SR80. I Bobcat has different sizes, and my goal is to dig up some fill and make a road (and also for snow removal in the winter). The 88" has the most cubic feet (24), but I'm wondering if I can handle that with my machine. In addition there is the severe duty that weighs 880 lbs (about 100 lbs more than the heavy duty). I'll probably also get the teeth for digging. Has anyone here any experience with Bobcat buckets, or advice? Thanks.

jmf

/ Can my 80hp track steer handle an 88" bucket? #2  
Sounds to me like you need 2 buckets, one for the winter and one for the rest of the year.

/ Can my 80hp track steer handle an 88" bucket? #3  
I use an 80" low profile, tooth bucket on my Bobcat S300. About the same size and lift as your ASV. I think you can handle the 88" bucket. I can pick up any load of dirt/rock that I can heap into the bucket without any problems. If used for pure digging, a wide bucket could be a factor in hard digging. For me, I don't like most buckets on skid steers which are just barely as wide as the machine. With your tracked machine, you have more push than I do.
Wide buckets could be an issue in tight quarters but since you have an ASV RS80, you already have a big machine.

I use an older bobcat bucket which I kept from my Bobcat 873. Bobcats buckets several years ago were hand welded and machine formed. Now they are machine welded and formed. My Bobcat dealer tells me the newer buckets are stronger than my old bucket. He had seen a few older buckets with the backs pushed in. Mine has been ok. Toothed bucket is extremely useful for digging and can't imagine using a smooth bucket for digging.

/ Can my 80hp track steer handle an 88" bucket? #4  
The issue with just buying a big bucket is that it might not be that great for digging. If you buy a manure bucket (large volume) and expect it to hold up in heavy digging -- and for the bucket to cut through the ground as easily as a low-profile would -- expect to be disappointed in both areas!

/ Can my 80hp track steer handle an 88" bucket?
Thanks for the comments. Very helpful. I will get the 88" with the teeth. I can remove them for snow plowing. I will also get the Bobcat upgrade to severe duty that adds about 80lbs of reinforcement. My 4n1 is about 17 cubic feet and the Bobcat bucket is over 24 cubic feet which should save some where and tear on the tracks during transport from one end of the job site to the other.

jmf

/ Can my 80hp track steer handle an 88" bucket? #6  
I have a super nice ASV HD 4500 (81HP). Rule of thumb is get a bucket that is no more than the width of your tracks. for many obvious reasons. If you have a high horsepower machine like the 115HP ASV 4520 you can break things. Same with that heavy bucket and pulling more to one side then to the center of gravity. Of course snow plowing is different, but I've plowed a lot of snow living up in Montana, Wisconsin and Minnesota, but now in Texas it is sand so a little easier on the machine. My bucket is 72"s (over 700lbs) and the track width on my machine is 69"s. They did not have that width. Anbo did, but Palletforks.com did not. It's kind of your call. If I had harder ground I think I would use my Grapple Root rake bucket 1st. I bought a 7ft. blade for my Ford 9N. I could barely lift it so got a 5' and what a difference. Your machine can easily lift that heavy bucket, but. Let us know how it works out. EO

/ Can my 80hp track steer handle an 88" bucket? #7  
For future reference, since these old threads keep coming back to life, for guys needing a 6' high capacity, heavy duty bucket, Bobcat makes this one for the V417, that will fit skid steer loaders.

Standard Skidsteer Quick Attach, one cubic yard, or 27 cubic feet. Part # 7140706
P1070005.JPG P1070007.JPG P6060026.JPG

With the Bolt-On Teeth Kit, it weighs 818 pounds.
P6060047.JPG P6060049.JPG P6060050.JPG

There would be about 3200 lbs of dirt in the bucket to lift the rear axle of the ground at that boom extension.
P3200002.JPG P3200020.JPG P3200021.JPG

Last edited:
   / Can my 80hp track steer handle an 88" bucket? #8  
I have a super nice ASV HD 4500 (81HP). Rule of thumb is get a bucket that is no more than the width of your tracks. for many obvious reasons. If you have a high horsepower machine like the 115HP ASV 4520 you can break things. Same with that heavy bucket and pulling more to one side then to the center of gravity. Of course snow plowing is different, but I've plowed a lot of snow living up in Montana, Wisconsin and Minnesota, but now in Texas it is sand so a little easier on the machine. My bucket is 72"s (over 700lbs) and the track width on my machine is 69"s. They did not have that width. Anbo did, but Palletforks.com did not. It's kind of your call. If I had harder ground I think I would use my Grapple Root rake bucket 1st. I bought a 7ft. blade for my Ford 9N. I could barely lift it so got a 5' and what a difference. Your machine can easily lift that heavy bucket, but. Let us know how it works out. EO
1. Note: the post you replied to is 3 years old.
2. I have no idea how this ended up in Bobcat forum since ASV is not a Bobcat, but is a division / partially owned by Caterpillar.
3. With of the bucket on a rubber track drive should be a minimum of equal to the track width. This is keep the outside edge of the track from riding up on the uncut soil which can cause the track to bend along the outer edge and crack it. Wider doesn't hurt. Regardless of the with, if machine has standard Quick Attach, the push force is at the center 44" (width of the QA). A bucket built, rated for use on a track machine in dirt excavation should have the reinforcing built into it to transfer the outer edge push load to the center of the bucket. There are wider buckets built for lighter, loose material that do not have the strength built into them for heavy dirt/excavation use. When buying a bucket, make sure it is rated for the designed use and machine size.