743 Massive hydro leak

/ 743 Massive hydro leak #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
Hi, I have an older 743 and have a massive hydro leak that as peculiar as it sounds I am having trouble narrowing down exactly where it is coming from. I originally thought I had blown the hydro cooler, but after pulling the panels and running it, the oil is down lower and it was blowing up through with the fan. My best guess is that it is at the very back / aft / engine end of the hydro assembly, or one of those lines there, I am just having a real hard time seeing anything forward of the engine other than the oil pouring out the bottom. I have the cab rocked open now, and was going to hotwire it and start it with the cab up next, but even now, I am having a hard time seeing the back of that hydro unit. Anyone have suggestions on what / where to look. Hate to pull the engine and not know exactly what I want to change, hard to troubleshoot if I cannot make it leak. Thanks for any help. Alan Bechard

/ 743 Massive hydro leak #2  
First power wash so you can see easier. I believe the 743 is diesel so disable the fuel pump (and or use shutoff valve if iquiped) so the machine won't start when cranked. Place machine on jack stands according to manual. With a remote starter and possible flashlight crank while observing hydraulic compartment. By cranking without starting you'll minimise the safety risk of high pressure hydraulic fluid hitting the skin. Also the "pouring out" will be minimised and you won't have quite the mess.

Hope this helps.

/ 743 Massive hydro leak #3  
If you havent got it fixed yet, its gonna be the steel pipes running behind the engine. Replace them with regular hydraulic hoses ran under the engine.

/ 743 Massive hydro leak
Thanks all, I have not got my act together and had time to get back on it yet. (need too) spent the morning so far under the dingo and on the phone looking for tracks for it.....

Man, are they proud of those darn things.

/ 743 Massive hydro leak #5  
   / 743 Massive hydro leak
If you havent got it fixed yet, its gonna be the steel pipes running behind the engine. Replace them with regular hydraulic hoses ran under the engine.

Had to look at the dates to see how long it had been broke, so I am not the fastest :laughing:

GAtractorman hit the nail on the head but I did replace with original again. $100 for the factory lines.

Pulled the engine a couple weeks ago, ordered lines, had them the same week, then put the engine back in and got it going again the next weekend I think it was.

Now I remember the other little things I need to sort around on the dang thing :D

It is good to have it running again.

Thanks gatractorman for telling me where the problem was, I really hated pulling that engine without having first found the leak your post gave me the confidence that it would be there.

/ 743 Massive hydro leak #7  
I have the same problem..... I pulled the engine and see about 10 hard line in there.... which one(s) are the normal problem?

/ 743 Massive hydro leak #8  
I really need to know which line(s) to replace....... I'm down till I get some advise........Please help