863 Fuel pickup

/ 863 Fuel pickup #11  
We also have an 863 with a bad fuel pickup in the tank (it seems). Bulb collapses and stays collapsed.
Cab up = no access to the hose. Am running off a pony tank just to get out of remote area BUT it is somehow going through a huge amount of fuel, and no obvious leak spot.
Is there a RETURN in the fuel system dumping some of the pony tank (attached to rear cover in a safe way) fuel back into the tank - seems it is increasing perhaps on the gauge.
MAIN QUESTION is how to access/replace or eliminate the pickup tube filter. Thanks, Rob

/ 863 Fuel pickup #12  
Proven - There is definitely fuel returning to the tank when running off the pony tank. Worked. Got us out of a tight situation, got (most of) the work done, and now back to needing to access/replace the clogged pickup in the tank.
Would like to simply externalize that filter, and the check valve for that matter. Has anyone done that, since the maintainece engineering is terribly flawed?

/ 863 Fuel pickup #13  
The fuel pickup line and the excess fuel return lines go into the top of the tank, look just behind the pump assembly and in front of the engine. These lines go through 90 degree barbed fittings with a rubber bushing around them that expands into the tank when fitting is pushed in. Pull up with a twisting motion to remove the fitting and bushing. Depending an on age of the 863, some did have a screen attached to bottom of the pickup tube but later models did not. The screen was removed after Duetz started putting a screen in the diaphragm lift pump.
Get too much dirt/debris in the tank and the 90 degree fitting can plug up.

/ 863 Fuel pickup #14  
We also have an 863 with a bad fuel pickup in the tank (it seems). Bulb collapses and stays collapsed.
Cab up = no access to the hose. Am running off a pony tank just to get out of remote area BUT it is somehow going through a huge amount of fuel, and no obvious leak spot.
Is there a RETURN in the fuel system dumping some of the pony tank (attached to rear cover in a safe way) fuel back into the tank - seems it is increasing perhaps on the gauge.
MAIN QUESTION is how to access/replace or eliminate the pickup tube filter. Thanks, Rob

First the good news: The line can be replace without removing the engine. Now the bad news: It is almost impossible. It took me 3 hrs and if my forearm had been a 1/4" larger I probably would have had to find someone with thinner arms. Start by removing R rear wheel and access plate and look in there. You may not see the line as it may be under 2" of oil and dirt gunk. Pressure wash and scrap & clean until you can see the line. Make sure there is no dirt & gunk around the grommet. If you can twist it out, good. I had to make a pry tool out of 1/4" x 3/4" bar stock with a v notch in the end and then use a hammer to force it out. If you are getting too much air in the fuel, like mine, the pickup tube is broken off and laying in the tank. I replaced mine with the standard Bobcat replacement kit. If the primer bulb is collapsing then the pickup is getting plugged up like mine is doing now. I was able get the bulb working by repeated squeezing which somehow cleared the pickup screen until I could pump up fuel and finish the job. You might have to repeat that every 10 minutes or so. Don't forget to change your fuel filter. When you take it off shake it upside down and see how much junk you get out. Sometimes there is so much that it's amazing that the engine ran at all. Hope this helps someone.

/ 863 Fuel pickup #15  
I have to do this sometime soon myself.........this thread was very informative. I hope I can get it done with out removing the engine.

/ 863 Fuel pickup #16  
The pick up on my A300 gets plugged frequently. I pull the line loose from the primer bulb. Blow back through the line to dislodge debris off the pick up. Reattach the fuel line and squeeze the primer bulb a few times. Good to go.

/ 863 Fuel pickup #17  
I have to do this sometime soon myself.........this thread was very informative. I hope I can get it done with out removing the engine.

Come-on Dave you can do it. I'm glad this thread is still active. I have some more info. After I replaced the fuel pickup and changed the filter it kept plugging up in the tank. I tried some flushing and other stuff with little luck so I pulled the pickup again and eliminated the screen which was cluttered with what look like pieces of the old fuel pickup line which had fallen off earlier. I then bought a couple of those cheap in line filters (Fram
G15) that my fuel line would fit on with clamps and installed it in the engine compartment before the primer bulb and with enough extra fuel line that I could pull it out for easy access. The first one lasted 15 minutes so then I changed it to the other new one and took first one, filled it with fuel oil, shook it a lot, poured out the fuel (lots of crap came out) and I repeated this action until I felt it was clear enough to blow some air through both ways and then repeated the procceedure again. This time I got a half hour before it plugged. Wear nitrile gloves to keep the fuel oil out of your body. Months later now I can run 2 to 3 hours before changing filters and it is now rapidly improving. I probably did the process 20 times and my main filter is still ok. I got the idea from my Case 580 K which uses one of those small filters for a pre-primary down by the frame before the fuel goes to the other primary and the secondary filters. It's all do-able without pulling the engine. I may keep the cheap filter in and my drainable primary should live forever. Hope this helps.

/ 863 Fuel pickup #18  
Stole Mogman's idea for my T300- seems to work great. Had a local shop do it for $70, cut the fuel inlet line, just ran 1/4 inch fuel line
info the tank. Seemed to work fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2118.JPG
    IMG_2118.JPG
    542.3 KB · Views: 1,276
  • IMG_2119.JPG
    IMG_2119.JPG
    638 KB · Views: 1,096
  • IMG_2120.JPG
    IMG_2120.JPG
    509.6 KB · Views: 699
   / 863 Fuel pickup #19  
Sounds like fuel conditioning needed.

Get a spin on filter kit from someplace and if you have a portable tank it may have one.

Get hoses to allow a pump to draw fuel from tank through filter and back to tank.

If tank has drain then just park so drain is lowest point then drain and clean.

Use leaf blower and shop vac hose to connect to fill pipe to pressurize and blow out chunks.

Use air compressor with air hose into tank to stir it up.

Good luck

/ 863 Fuel pickup #20  
Sounds like fuel conditioning needed.

Get a spin on filter kit from someplace and if you have a portable tank it may have one.

Get hoses to allow a pump to draw fuel from tank through filter and back to tank.

If tank has drain then just park so drain is lowest point then drain and clean.

Use leaf blower and shop vac hose to connect to fill pipe to pressurize and blow out chunks.

Use air compressor with air hose into tank to stir it up.

Good luck

Tony, you do know that so far you've replied to a 2 year old post and a 7 year old post. Each has a date on it. Might want to check that out before commenting on long resolved or long forgotten issues.