863 Fuel pickup

/ 863 Fuel pickup #1  

mogman

I have a bad fuel pickup in the tank on my 863 (if I pressure up the tank with a small amount of air only air comes out of the fuel line with a nearly full tank) I have seen several references to this but can someone tell me where to "go in" to look for the 90 degree fitting?? Man this thing is about 25lb of crap stuffed into a 2lb bag!!
Craig

/ 863 Fuel pickup #3  
How about checking the fuel line and strainer in the tank. I have pulled the fuel line out of a Bobcat tank by removing the fuel cap and using a coat hanger to snag the fuel line and carefully pull the line out just to inspect the intake end. The intake end usually has a strainer which gets clogged. Also check the condition of the fuel line. Over time it can deteriorate and collapse closing the line and not getting fuel thru. With the intake line out now you can clear the line using compressed air by removing a connection down the fuel system. If there is trash in your tank you can shorten the intake line a little to keep it from picking up more trash.
The 90 fitting you are talking about is at the top of the tank in the middle. Sometimes there is a 90 fitting attatched to the shut off valve. Removing the tanks to clean out is a pretty good job.

/ 863 Fuel pickup
It is pretty obvious the pickup tube has dropped off of the 90, if I blow air into the tank filler neck with it nearly full the air has no problem blowing out of the fuel line at the primer bulb, it would not do this if it was plugged and if the pickup was there fuel would blow out, after looking over the engine removal procedure (read bites the BIG one) I am going to have to try to access this through the side cover.
I looks like after removing the tire and one of the hydraulic fittings I might be able to get to it, and I might be able to unbolt the engine/pump mounts and lift the engine/pump a little. Any way you look at it this was piss poor engineering for sure. At least it is the near and not the far (return) fitting!! And to think I thought I was getting over by buying a machine (auction) with a completely full fuel tank LOL and then cry
Craig

/ 863 Fuel pickup #5  
I had the same problem on my 963 and managed to pull the line up through the grommet accessed from under the seat with the cab up.

The grommet came out with it and was rough to get back in. My fuel line was bad - dropped into the tank - got a new flex rubber line from a Stihl chain saw shop and made a new 90 degree pickup from steel tubing - no more problems.

The 90 on mine that I am referring to is used as a weight to keep the rubber line on the bottom - ID'd it from the parts catalog.

/ 863 Fuel pickup
Well the 863's pickup is directly under the engine and I just could not work through the small access I had, SO it sat until I came up with this piece of southern ingenuity, I cut the fuel fill pipe, found a piece of muffler pipe pounded the center flat so the 1/4 pipe bulkhead connector would fit flush on the pipe. On the inside there is a section of nylon 3/8 tubing attached to the bulkhead connector with a correct 90deg compression fitting, on the outside is a 5/16 hose barb and bingo bango we are back in business :)

Attachments

• fuel Hose Repair c.jpg
    fuel Hose Repair c.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 8,460
   / 863 Fuel pickup #7  
@ mogman:

that's ingenious :thumbsup:

/ 863 Fuel pickup #8  
Hi Mogman, This fuel problem has been a mind bending experience for me this week. Your solution seems to be a great answer to this problem. I have an 873 which I hope is about the same as an 863. I will try this fix this week. Did you put any kind of filter or screen on the end of the hose inside the tank? Thanks, Ron....

/ 863 Fuel pickup #9  
there is a hydraulic line and fitting screwed into hydro pump. remove the vertical line first, then unscrew the fitting into pump. reach in and wipe all debris away from the pickup line area. pull the line up and out the side opening. make sure the tire has been removed for plenty of room. at this point, you should be able to easily complete the job.
Well things are not looking good, after dark I can clearly see the hoses looking through the removed "door" on the right side of the machine. It looks like it would be next to impossible to get in there without pulling the engine. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif

/ 863 Fuel pickup #10  
Hi Mogman, This fuel problem has been a mind bending experience for me this week. Your solution seems to be a great answer to this problem. I have an 873 which I hope is about the same as an 863. I will try this fix this week. Did you put any kind of filter or screen on the end of the hose inside the tank? Thanks, Ron....

you must install a filter combo check valve at the end of the tube before you push the tube back down into the top of the tank