Default Lift cylinder seals

I blew the rod end seal on one of the lift cylinders on my 530B. It's a 2" cylinder with 1.25" rod. The rod end cap is a smooth cap with two blind holes that are parallel with the rod. It appreas that there must be a tool that needs to go into these holes to unscrew the cap. I have read other places to use a spanner wrench, but they must have different caps than I do becuase there are no notches to put the spanner wrench in. I tried to make a crude tool by welding a couple pins in a plate that fit over the rod and turning the cap off, but I just ended up bending the pins. Anyone got any advice on how to get this cap off? Are the threads left handed?

Thanks
    Chris

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

Default Re: Lift cylinder seals

A spanner is the proper tool (one with pins), but sometimes a pipe wrench is needed if it's rusted. Should be regular threads.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain and Rigging Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Didn't even know there was a spanner wrench with pins. I learn something everyday. Thanks for the info. Now the $100 question: I see there are spanner wrenches with pins that range from $14 - $150. What can I get by with. Any pros or cons to the different styles?

Thanks

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

Do a Google search with the term "pin wrench". I found this easily: OTC - SPX 6613 Variable Pin Spanner Wrench It may not be the exact one you need/want, just wanted to use it as an example. But, since you tried to make one and the pins bent, I am guessing it's really tight or stuck on there-the pip wrench may be your best option.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain and Rigging Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Tractor
    John Deere 3203, Bobcat 763, 1967 Dodge D600 Dump Truck

I just did the cylinder on my 763 and used a pipe wrench. I have a buddy who is a heavy diesel mechanic about it since he did the other side just a couple of months ago. He said that he just used a pipe wrench for it. Mine wasn't on there particularly tight and it didn't leave any marks on the gland nut.

The tool for it is called a gland nut wrench, which run $80 plus.
    John Deere 3203 FEL, Bobcat 763, 1967 Dodge D600 Dump Truck

Well, I borrowed a pinned spanner wrench from a buddy and tried to reomve the rod end cap. I can't get it to budge. I tired doing it on the machine so that the cap end of the cylinder was still pinned. I guess next I'll try draining the oil and using some heat to see if I can get it to break loose. I did try using a pipe wrench and it's tough to hold on there. The lugs on the pipe wrench are about 7/8 - 1" wide and the cap on the cylinder is only about 1/4- 5/16" wide. So the wrench wants to tip over. I try and hold it straight and put some pressure on it. It is digging into the cap and leaving marks too.

The pipe wrench is going to dig into the gland, don't worry about it. It doesn't hurt anything, its a tractor. Don't be afraid to put a piece of pipe on the end of that pipe wrench either. If the teeth marks really bother you, you can clean them up with a file afterwards. I have rebuilt hundreds of cylinders over the years. I have only worked at one shop that had spanners, they were a pain, and none of us used them anyway. I have had glands so tight and rusted/corroded in place that I had to put enough heat into them to get them loose that the seals melted. At that point you are probably buying a new gland anyway.

Brian