Buying Advice Bobcat Track loader No MSRP/negotiation ?

/ Bobcat Track loader No MSRP/negotiation ? #11  
It always makes me laugh when people have this "consumer reports" attitude that that they need to know what a dealer of something paid for a product so they can decide what a fair profit for that dealer is. I agree that finding out an MSRP should be pretty straightforward. What that dealer actually paid for his product isn't really anyone's business. There are costs to do business, do you know what it costs to keep his store open, or what percentage commission he has to pay sales people to keep good sales people that will treat his customers right?

The consumer is king, and will ultimately decide what products are going to sell for. Not just one consumer, but as a group, and it can vary from region to region. What does it matter what dealer cost is on an item if it's a fast moving product and the dealer can sell all that he can get for MSRP? If you don't like the price of something, make an offer that represents what it's worth to you. It's up to the dealer to take it or leave it, because face it, at that point he owns it, not you.

As for the government pricing, maybe if you do hundreds of millions of dollars of business with a manufacturer you will enjoy some volume pricing as well. I own a relatively large company that develops real estate and builds homes. We enjoy quite a bit better pricing on building materials than someone that is building a pole building in their backyard as a weekend project.

All that really matters to a consumer is what a product is actually selling for, and that information if fairly easy to get. If you don't like Bobcat's policy of protecting dealers and their territories don't buy a Bobcat. It's America. They have the right to run their business and they deem fit, and you have the freedom to buy, or not buy, from anyone you choose.

/ Bobcat Track loader No MSRP/negotiation ? #12  
It always makes me laugh when people have this "consumer reports" attitude that that they need to know what a dealer of something paid for a product so they can decide what a fair profit for that dealer is. I agree that finding out an MSRP should be pretty straightforward. What that dealer actually paid for his product isn't really anyone's business. There are costs to do business, do you know what it costs to keep his store open, or what percentage commission he has to pay sales people to keep good sales people that will treat his customers right?

The consumer is king, and will ultimately decide what products are going to sell for. Not just one consumer, but as a group, and it can vary from region to region. What does it matter what dealer cost is on an item if it's a fast moving product and the dealer can sell all that he can get for MSRP? If you don't like the price of something, make an offer that represents what it's worth to you. It's up to the dealer to take it or leave it, because face it, at that point he owns it, not you.

As for the government pricing, maybe if you do hundreds of millions of dollars of business with a manufacturer you will enjoy some volume pricing as well. I own a relatively large company that develops real estate and builds homes. We enjoy quite a bit better pricing on building materials than someone that is building a pole building in their backyard as a weekend project.

All that really matters to a consumer is what a product is actually selling for, and that information if fairly easy to get. If you don't like Bobcat's policy of protecting dealers and their territories don't buy a Bobcat. It's America. They have the right to run their business and they deem fit, and you have the freedom to buy, or not buy, from anyone you choose.

I couldn't agree more.

Brian

/ Bobcat Track loader No MSRP/negotiation ? #13  
I, as a consumer, who is considering an excavator , would like to know a starting number....As you know there are a fair number of manufacturers , and I need to have a range to start with....I do not want to have a salesman trying to sell, until I am ready.....I agree everyone has a right to do as they want, but for me it makes it much more difficult to even start...without at least a MRSP...Tony

/ Bobcat Track loader No MSRP/negotiation ? #14  
I, as a consumer, who is considering an excavator , would like to know a starting number....As you know there are a fair number of manufacturers , and I need to have a range to start with....I do not want to have a salesman trying to sell, until I am ready.....I agree everyone has a right to do as they want, but for me it makes it much more difficult to even start...without at least a MRSP...Tony

While it might be nice to have a starting point, building a relationship with a dealer is worth paying a few dollars more. Service after the sale is important if not the most important consideration after quality.

I guess comparing apples to apples is a good thing for the consumer but if I have 10 Bobcat attachments and find a great deal on a John Deere, I might pass it up because I have so much invested in Bobcat brand and all things being equal, the hassle factor of dealing with more than one dealer would be something to consider.

Bobcat shows me the numbers when I go in. I don't think they are hiding anything locally. CAT was transparent, too, a few years back.

/ Bobcat Track loader No MSRP/negotiation ? #15  
No question the relationship is very important (to me), but before that takes place I would like to narrow down the different manufacturers.....I don`t know about yourself, but I don`t like to take another persons time if they are not reasonably close, nor get my hopes up only to be disappointed.

I seriously doubt I will even make it to the Bobcat dealer--as I`m not going in so ignorant..a shame as I think they have a good produce....

Further I would definitely deal with the local dealer, even if someone else offered me a very good price somehow.....I wonder what this country is coming to? if it is so hard to just price anything....Tony ps thanks for your response

/ Bobcat Track loader No MSRP/negotiation ? #16  
Further I would definitely deal with the local dealer, even if someone else offered me a very good price somehow.....I wonder what this country is coming to? if it is so hard to just price anything....Tony ps thanks for your response

I think that the base prices should be listed if there are protected territories (which there seems to be) but there are a lot of options to consider. BUT, at least in my case, I don't have to jump through hoops to get the base price at least with Bobcat. That gives me a starting point. I guess we have to have some faith that the relationships we build with our vendors are honest relationships and that we are getting the best price they can offer at the time. Not sure how we would know unless we spend a lot of time shopping other markets but with protected territories, that can make it difficult (if you are only looking at a brand or two).

/ Bobcat Track loader No MSRP/negotiation ? #17  
But, If there was another Bobcat dealer, you'd be a fool not to check with them. That's when you discover who is willing to deal and who is leaning you over the counter! Do you just walk in the store and say... I'll take 10 of those, without even looking at the price... I think not.... sooner or later the salesman is going to realize how trusting you are of your 'precious relationship' and he's going to start sticking it to you.

/ Bobcat Track loader No MSRP/negotiation ? #18  
I, as you, use to have relationships--with my John Deere dealer...He just gave me a good price and I stuck with him....Now the John Deere dealer is gone, and I don`t farm anymore....I kept the property, and now just want to purchase a small excavator...Of course Cat is just a dream as they are expensive...I`m sure bobcat is good, and Kubota, Tacheiu(sp), but I find now a day that it really is a tussle to buy anything...No one gives a competitive price right away---at least to me--and I have to fight for a FAIR number...Man what a pain...and worse is when someone (after the fact) says I could have gotten so and so, ten thousand dollars cheaper :) Tony

/ Bobcat Track loader No MSRP/negotiation ? #19  
But, If there was another Bobcat dealer, you'd be a fool not to check with them. That's when you discover who is willing to deal and who is leaning you over the counter! Do you just walk in the store and say... I'll take 10 of those, without even looking at the price... I think not.... sooner or later the salesman is going to realize how trusting you are of your 'precious relationship' and he's going to start sticking it to you.

They will not sell you a "new" machine if you live outside of, or your business is registered outside of their territory.

/ Bobcat Track loader No MSRP/negotiation ? #20  
I don't ever drop that kind of money without doing my homework on cost first. I'm not made of money!