How to get the best price on a new Bobcat, from a salesman.

/ How to get the best price on a new Bobcat, from a salesman. #1  

aarcr

There is another thread here talking about Bobcat MSRP where there is talk about trying to get a good price on a new Bobcat when the factory restricts where a dealer can sell new ones. That thread is straying here and there and everywhere so I thought I'd put this info into a new thread.

I used to sell new skid steers [and other larger construction equipment] for a large name brand dealer. First let me say there is more to consider than just price. Service, parts, resale value, a relationship with a dealer and so on. But for the sake of this thread I am going to concentrate on price.

Lets say you really want a brand new S-160 Bobcat. 60 hp/1600lb. capacity.

You go to your local bobcat dealer and say, " I need a new skid steer and I really like the Bobcat S-160, what kind of price can you give me?"

Instantly the dealer knows you need a "new" skidsteer and you want Bobcat brand. He thinks he has you hooked. He does not have to compete against any other dealer. The other Bobcat dealers can't sell "new" in this territory,you have indicated you want only Bobcat brand and that you need one. He has the power in the negotiation and you are in a very weak bargaining position.

Now lets change the situation, you go in and say this. " I'm thinking of updating my skid steer if I can find one for the right price. I'm thinking of about a 60 hp 1600 lb machine. I might go a little bigger or smaller depending on what I find and I would be willing to look at a machine with a few hours on it. Something from a rental fleet or a repo or late model trade in. It doesn't have to be Bobcat, I'd consider some other brand."

POW! you have completely changed the balance of power to you. You may still intend to buy a new S-160 but in the dealers mind that new S-160 price now has to compete with dozens of other machines from new dealers, used dealers, rental houses, internet sales, auctions and private individuals. You are in the catbird seat.

Remember also the dealer exclusive territory only applies to new machines. Each factory has their own rules but typically the dealer can sell machines from their rental fleet with so many hours on them anywhere they want. This may also include special deals they can get from the factory on demo machines, factory test machines, aged but new inventory other dealers want to dump and so on. And of course a previously owned machine, no matter how new, they can sell anywhere.

Now... don't buy a machine that day. Even if you are convinced Bobcat brand is the best, go to other dealers and look at other brands. I can tell you from many years of selling new loaders, dozers, skidsteers, graders cranes and so on that NO brand is best in every size category and that EVERY brand has dogs in their line. And every brand changes through the years as they try to compete. That Case skid steer you looked at and didn't like 4 years ago may have been completely redesigned and you might love it now. The Cat that was too expensive then might be lower priced now because of some factory incentives. Things change, don't lock your self in with tunnel vision.

You want to keep that dealer thinking he is competing with everyone and if you want the best deal you owe it to yourself to shop.
Remember, knowlege is power.

Time for me to go shop, I'm now a contractor and i'm looking for a new trailer!

I'l answer questions later if I can.

Last edited:
   / How to get the best price on a new Bobcat, from a salesman. #2  
Ask the salesman to give you the best price with no trade-in, no financing, no delivery, no extended warranty, Pay in full when you make the purchase with check and tell him you are ready to buy TODAY and that you have other Dealers working on the deal and will compare prices at the end of the day. Ken Sweet

/ How to get the best price on a new Bobcat, from a salesman. #3  
...I'll answer questions later if I can.
Welcome to TBN... Just wanted to say that is a great post, with helpful information. Thanks for joining TBN, and :welcome: to TBN.

Last edited:
   / How to get the best price on a new Bobcat, from a salesman. #4  
Thank you for the great advice. I think people in general are not very good negotiators. You have given us some good points. I don't plan on ever buying a new skid steer, but your advice will work for cars, trucks, boats, etc.

A recent examples of negotiating.
A guy had cabinets on craigs list for $250. I called him and said I was 120 miles away, and needed to know the real condition. He said great so we drove 120 miles, pulled up with a trailer attached and my wife asked if he would take $200. He looked at the trailer, looked at me and said "sure". He should have easily known if we came that far and pulled a trailer we were planning on buying.
As for my skills, before we got out of the car I told my wife "no way he will take less because he knows how far we came". She said "what will it hurt to ask?" Yes, she gave me a hard time on the way home.

/ How to get the best price on a new Bobcat, from a salesman.
Thank you for the great advice. I think people in general are not very good negotiators. You have given us some good points. I don't plan on ever buying a new skid steer, but your advice will work for cars, trucks, boats, etc.

A recent examples of negotiating.
A guy had cabinets on craigs list for $250. I called him and said I was 120 miles away, and needed to know the real condition. He said great so we drove 120 miles, pulled up with a trailer attached and my wife asked if he would take $200. He looked at the trailer, looked at me and said "sure". He should have easily known if we came that far and pulled a trailer we were planning on buying.
As for my skills, before we got out of the car I told my wife "no way he will take less because he knows how far we came". She said "what will it hurt to ask?" Yes, she gave me a hard time on the way home.

Keep complimenting her for getting you the good deal. Tell her how clever she is.
Let her know how much you appreciate her.

You will get a good deal. :):) :)

/ How to get the best price on a new Bobcat, from a salesman. #6  
FWIW, You would think, if a fellow drives into a dealership with a trailer unannounced, that he is buying your product. Well, that is not true. It is just the opposite. He is, 9 times out of 10 driving the regional dealers and looking for a bargain basement deal. You very seldom sell the "unannounced" trailer fellow anything. Ken Sweet

/ How to get the best price on a new Bobcat, from a salesman. #7  
I would make the argument that the guy that brought the trailer is prepared, nothing more. Negotiation still needs to take place. It is a mindset. I always shoot for less, without offending the other party.

/ How to get the best price on a new Bobcat, from a salesman. #8  
I would make the argument that the guy that brought the trailer is prepared, nothing more. Negotiation still needs to take place. It is a mindset. I always shoot for less, without offending the other party.

34 years of observing customers buying strategies, has lead me to this conclusion. I would like to be proved wrong. Typically, the fellow drives in with a friend and a trailer. They are not really serious about purchasing. They are out of the house on a day off from work having a good time, driving the area, looking at product inventory and exchanging stories with their friend as the day flows along. They only thing that they will buy is something below dealer cost. Usually, not even then. I have put that to the test several times. If a customer is serious about buying a implement, the first thing he should do is to call ahead and see if the dealer has it in stock and what the price is before he drives 1-2-3 hours on a blind run. Dealer inventory changes constantly. Ken Sweet

/ How to get the best price on a new Bobcat, from a salesman.
Buying a high dollar skidsteer is what I was addressing.

Guys driving around on their day off looking for a bargain are RARELY looking for a new $30,000+ skid steer to bring home that day.

I think we are talking about different types of buyers.

/ How to get the best price on a new Bobcat, from a salesman. #10  
Buying a high dollar skidsteer is what I was addressing.

Guys driving around on their day off looking for a bargain are RARELY looking for a new $30,000+ skid steer to bring home that day.

I think we are talking about different types of buyers.

I am referring to the specific guy that comes in pulling a trailer out of the clear blue with no prior contact with the dealer. Heck, these guys will buy a $30,000 skid steer if they can get it for $15,000 LOL. Ken Sweet