Tracks vs Steel OTT?

/ Tracks vs Steel OTT? #1  

Dunmovin

Down to the wire on buying a late model Bobcat - tried a S250 and then a T190. Like the additional power and cab (better visibility) of the S250 but the tracks performed way better in the bush here (dry soft ground few stones - no mud) less damage, better traction and smoother ride (no digging in and creating potholes)

Overall I prefer the 250 and thinking the solution is to put steel OTT over the wheels of the 250 (thinking McClaren for max tire protection) but can't seem to get any objective advice saying that the OTT will perform virtually as well as the tracked machine (only using it for bush clearing, snow removal etc no Tarmac or concrete surfaces)

Appreciate any advice or guidance here.

Thanks

Dunmovin

/ Tracks vs Steel OTT? #2  
I debated the same thing last fall, tracks or tires. I ended up getting a 2008 S250 and the Bobcat(Grouser) steel OTT tracks. The main reason I went the tire route is the cost of mainentance for the tracked machines. I've put about 100 hours on the tracks so far doing road maintenance and some land clearing.
Traction is great on dirt with them but they do tear things up. They do need adjusting every 20 hours or so. The ride is not as good as the T190. I have used one a few times. After a good day on mine I feel like I've been on a carnival ride. That may get better as I get some more practice. This is my first skidsteer. The S250 is a beast and I am amazed how much I can get done in a day with it. Fuel consumption is a little higher than I expected but then I look at how much got done compared to using my tractor.
Any more ?'s ask away.

/ Tracks vs Steel OTT? #3  
If you never cross over paved or concrete surfaces, I'd say you could go with OTT tracks and a wheel machine. If you ever have to cross those items, it's a no-brainer. Stability seems to be hugly in favor of the track loaders as compared to the skid steers as well. I've gone over in skid steers more times than I can count but have never gone over on a track loader. You don't want to know my opinion on Bobcat machines if you're set on buying one. After owning several, I'll just say I'd use a spade before I'd buy another. ;)

/ Tracks vs Steel OTT? #4  
You say dry soft ground, sounds kinda sandy? You may be better off with a track machine. But don't even sit in it if it's snowing. I really like the versatility of my tire machine with the grouser OTT (Gehl 7800 115hp, 10,000lbs, 3750lb r.o.c.) I operate the machine in muddy, woodsy, gravel'y, snowy conditions and am a firm believer that the OTT prolly have at least 2 times the traction as a rubber belt mach. I'd love to chain up to a track machine for a real pull off but don't anybody with a similar weight and HP machine for a good "test". There are times that I would like to have a track unit, but most of the time, I would be wearing out a undercarriage that is expensive rather than four $300 tires.
I just got a new set of (grouser brand) tracks, they replaced a set that was on a JD240 ss, then on my Gehl, prolly 1500hrs on 'em and they need new bushings and links, the actual "tracks" are fine although I welded 2 cross bars and that was many hrs ago, no trouble. I was going to rebuild them until I saw a new set at a dealer on Ebay. I got them cheap because I have 14.5X17 tires and there are only about 3 or 4 machines that run that size. (not much demand) As for the snow, I chain up each corner and go like ****! Ice is no trouble either.

/ Tracks vs Steel OTT? #5  
Look at Loegering steel tracks. Great traction, better flotation and tire protection than the Grousers. Smoother ride in my opinion and a bit less aggressive. Both great quality and similar price.

I can sell both and sell far more Loegerings.

/ Tracks vs Steel OTT? #6  
Look at Loegering steel tracks. Great traction, better flotation and tire protection than the Grousers. Smoother ride in my opinion and a bit less aggressive. Both great quality and similar price.

I can sell both and sell far more Loegerings.
Yeah but my Grousers have the little Bobcat emblem on the side.:laughing:

/ Tracks vs Steel OTT? #8  
I got a T180 with a tree shear and grapple bucket. I spent about 300 hours cutting brush. If you run on flat and dry ground you will be fine. If it gets soft or muddy you may have trouble. I have noticed where I pile brush in soft ground you will cut ruts. I have had this machine in some places that I would have never guessed it would go. I have heard of trouble with the brush getting tangled up in the steel tracks and causing some prob. Make sure you fill your tires your you will be fighting flats. Good luck.

/ Tracks vs Steel OTT?
tawilson said:
I debated the same thing last fall, tracks or tires. I ended up getting a 2008 S250 and the Bobcat(Grouser) steel OTT tracks. The main reason I went the tire route is the cost of mainentance for the tracked machines. I've put about 100 hours on the tracks so far doing road maintenance and some land clearing.
Traction is great on dirt with them but they do tear things up. They do need adjusting every 20 hours or so. The ride is not as good as the T190. I have used one a few times. After a good day on mine I feel like I've been on a carnival ride. That may get better as I get some more practice. This is my first skidsteer. The S250 is a beast and I am amazed how much I can get done in a day with it. Fuel consumption is a little higher than I expected but then I look at how much got done compared to using my tractor.
Any more ?'s ask away.

Hi - appreciated your advice and went ahead and got a S650 with stump grapple, grapple rack and tree saw. Love the machine and seem to have the best combination of attachments for what I'm doing (clearing a bush block) but traction in mud and light snow (now )is still a problem. Getting prices on Grouser, Radmiester, McLarens etc but since I want to be able to use them in the snow, the recommendation seems to be to go for less weight not more.

Appreciate any advice you might have

Txs

Dunmovin

/ Tracks vs Steel OTT? #10  
I've never had them on my Bobcat, but maybe chains would work better for you in the snow.