Anybody Familiar with Bobcat 3023 Trencher?

/ Anybody Familiar with Bobcat 3023 Trencher? #1  

Stimw

Elite Member
I have a 3023 Trencher. I have found out that it was made by Berkene and has Bobcat name. Has Kabota engine and runs very well.
I have a problem with the drive on it. It was jerking when in forward gear but was smooth in reverse. Local dealer told me the the hydro should be good but it might have a linkage problem. I checked linkage and it seemed tight.
I ran a 40' trench yesterday and it did OK but when driving it out of the way it quit driving. Now it has no forward or reverse. Hydraulics are still working good and I used the chain to move it out of the way.
It also has wiring problems under the dash but Berkene wants $65. just for the schmatic, not very good customer service if you ask me!

/ Anybody Familiar with Bobcat 3023 Trencher? #2  
I have a 3023 Trencher. I have found out that it was made by Berkene and has Bobcat name. Has Kabota engine and runs very well.
I have a problem with the drive on it. It was jerking when in forward gear but was smooth in reverse. Local dealer told me the the hydro should be good but it might have a linkage problem. I checked linkage and it seemed tight.
I ran a 40' trench yesterday and it did OK but when driving it out of the way it quit driving. Now it has no forward or reverse. Hydraulics are still working good and I used the chain to move it out of the way.
It also has wiring problems under the dash but Berkene wants $65. just for the schmatic, not very good customer service if you ask me!

I have a 1991 bobcat 3023 with a similar issue. Just travelling along and the hydraulic drive quite. All other hydraulic functions seem to work, two speed switch seems to click the solenoid but no movement. Did you ever solve your issue?

/ Anybody Familiar with Bobcat 3023 Trencher? #3  
Did you get this fixed?

/ Anybody Familiar with Bobcat 3023 Trencher? #4  
I've owned one for many years. Had this problem a few times. Worst was driving up a hill and it took off going backwards. Seems like it only happens when the oil gets too hot. Duh moments when I realized I'd been trenching in high travel speed. If the switch doesn't work, fix it. Also, be sure you're running 30w in the hydraulics, as that would cause the issue as well as not being nice to the hydraulic parts. Let it cool and it SHOULD take off going again. Great machine when it works right. Got it right before Bobcat sold the rights and the price on everything tripled before becoming scarse to unavailable. Trenched circles around Ditchwich at the time