Looking for First Skidsteer

/ Looking for First Skidsteer #1  

MarkinMass

Hi all, this is my first post, but have been lurking for a long time. I have some questions regarding a used Bobcat S185. I have been searching through Machinerytrader and CL and have seen plenty of used equipment with quite a spread in price ranges. So here are my questions:
1. Would it make sense to try and get a used piece of equipment at auction rather than buying from a dealer? What are the advantages to purchasing at the dealer? Auction prices for items that have sold seem very reasonable.
2. I would need to finance about 2/3 of the price, what are my options (I am a homeowner). Also what are the current rates on used equipment?
3. Last but not least, what does a new S185 go for (open cab, basic run of the mill skid steer).
I am trying to figure out what a new one goes for in my area so I can try and determine if a used one is a decent deal or not. For the used one I hope to purchase I would like one with less than 2k hours and in good overall condition, as I do not want to buy something and sink a ton of $$$ into it right off the bat.
This unit will be used to move logs (need grapple too), move and grade dirt and finally to move snow in the winter.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also if any pros/cons to this unit please let me know. Thank for your help!

Mark

/ Looking for First Skidsteer #2  
If you got a buddy that knows machinery bring him to the auction. By all means cut out the dealer $$ if you can but check with him first about his used units for baseline pricing. Nothing at all against the dealer, but usually they might give you 30 days or so after that you're on your own. At the auction, check to see of the clock (hr. meter) is working, check the oils, the diesel (engine) will allways be black, but see that its at a reasonable level. Check the hyd oil, should be nice and clean and close to full. Look for obvious leaking and dripping from the pan. Check operation and if it has a local dealer sticker/decal on it check with them for whatever they might tell you. Good luck, a SS is a great tool but does not play well with grass!

/ Looking for First Skidsteer #3  
I just bought my first loader a Bobcat T190. Loaders are every where. I know of several independent contractors that trade in machines at around 2000 to 3000 hours. They feel they get a good trade in and cut way down on lost time and money doing repairs. I was able to buy the machine for what he was offered as trade in value. The machine has low hours, clean and has been well maintained. It has had only one operator that cared for the machine. Check around a get a machine with a known history. Find out how many operators, what was the machine used for, and maintenance history if possible.

/ Looking for First Skidsteer
Thanks for the replys. I am looking for any used skidsteer with reasonable hours (2k or so) that was properly maintained. There is a lot of used equipment out there, so I will try to find someone mechanically sound to come with me to view machines. I personally don't know anyone with the technical knowledge that can help me weed through the equipment that was poorly maintained.
I sent a request on new Bobcat S185 with open cab High Flow Hydraulics, Two Speed, Hydraulic Bucket Positioning, Engine Block Heater
O71 Option Package - total price $34,900.. Too rich for only occasional homeowner use.
I definitely want to spend less than $15k on a low hour, well maintained unit. Also if I can get a grapple or snow plow too that would be even better.
Does anyone know a good dealer or resource to buy used equipment from in Massachusetts or surrounding areas? I have sent out 2 requests for more information with no replys so far.

/ Looking for First Skidsteer #5  
My brother just got a John Deere 260 at auction for under $6200 but I have no information on hours or overall condition. It is a pretty big machine, around 70 horsepower, with an 8 foot bucket so it could be too big for home use. More of a construction machine I would think. If I get more details I will let you know.

That'a a good price on a Deere that size, if you find out the hours and overall condition let me know. Auction prices seem to be about 40% less or more than what used dealers are charging as list price. I would certainly be willing to take a chance for such a low price, even if you have to put in a few thousand it is still less than a dealer would charge.
I have been reviewing machinery trader for auction sales, if those #'s are accurate then that may be the route I take; otherwise private party. From the little I have seen dealer prices on used machines seem quite high, but those are list prices of course.

/ Looking for First Skidsteer #7  
He is leaving the State for about 10 days so will only get to use it after that. He also told me wrong, the bucket is a 7 footer and not an 8.
If I get more info I will let you know.

/ Looking for First Skidsteer #8  
Hey mark. I recently bought an 863g off of craigslist. I went out to look at it to male sure it was something I was interested in. Then I had a bobcat road technician go out and hook it up to there computer and go right through the machine. It has been an awesome machine. It is an 01 863G hi flow with cab heat and ac with only 1560 hours on it for 13k. Bobcat service guys are awesome too.

That's a good deal. How much was it for the Tech to come out and do the inspection? I will definitely go that route when I get one. I think it will save a lot of hassles in the long run.