341 excavator problem

/ 341 excavator problem #1  

Taylortractornut

Elite Member
Tractor
3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,
My older brother has a 341 that he uses in his contracting business. He was installing a sewer line yesterday and the crowd arm quit working. But if you held the lever either way and used another function like the boom the stick would work. He just had to barely move to boom lever or other function and it worked perfectly. It worked well enough to finish the job up. Has anyone had this happen. Im thinking he got a problem in his pilot manifold but not sure.

/ 341 excavator problem #2  
Taylortractornut said:
My older brother has a 341 that he uses in his contracting business. He was installing a sewer line yesterday and the crowd arm quit working. But if you held the lever either way and used another function like the boom the stick would work. He just had to barely move to boom lever or other function and it worked perfectly. It worked well enough to finish the job up. Has anyone had this happen. Im thinking he got a problem in his pilot manifold but not sure.

Our 331 did that and the two speed button on the floorboard was sticking. I disconnected the wire plug and everything worked good. I just replaced the button so I didn't have to fool around pulling up the switch every time I used two speed.

/ 341 excavator problem #3  

Sorry for getting in here sooner. I think the control selector valve (ISO to SAE, standard) valve down in front of right console got bumped, is partially inbetween control selections.

/ 341 excavator problem #4  
Please let me in on what a crowd arm is? I have a 2006 341 and it must have a crowd arm but i am dam if i know what it is!

/ 341 excavator problem #5  
The "crowd" arm is also called the dipper arm. This is the arm that pivots at the top of the boom (lift) arm and hooks to the bucket, moves in and out away from the operator.

/ 341 excavator problem #6  
Thanks Dennis. I love my machine and do not use it professionally and I find it the most usefull and universal machine for my 20 acres. PS I have an ASV RC100 skid steer that performs fantastic tasks also.

Ultraglide62

/ 341 excavator problem #7  
I have a 337 excavator and my thumb switch acts the same way it works but you have to barely move the valve. My 2 speed doesn't work though, keeps blowing fuses, haven't checked that out yet though.

/ 341 excavator problem #8  
I have a 337 excavator and my thumb switch acts the same way it works but you have to barely move the valve. My 2 speed doesn't work though, keeps blowing fuses, haven't checked that out yet though.

2 speed blowing the fuse could be a failed solenoid or wire rubbed through (short to ground) in the harness. Quick way to check is unplug the 2 speed solenoid and turn 2 speed on if doesn't blow the fuse is probably the solenoid. Check Ohms to be sure.
Auxiliary not working until you move joystick slightly could be low pilot pressure setting (standby pressure). When you move the joystick it sends signal to pump to come on stoke, sending more oil to the standby relief and bring pilot pressure up enough to start stroking the valve spool.

/ 341 excavator problem #9  
Thanks for the info, will check the way you described. I've already had a wire problem 1 time I will check that. Thanks

/ 341 excavator problem
THanks for the suggestions fellas but we found the problem. THe shop that my brother uses pulled down the main valve bank and found where a metal object upstream broke off and had been tumbling around inside the bore and wallowed out the bore. It did such a good job it looked machined. THe little valve section was 1600 dollars at the local BC dealer. THey wouldnt give him the box it came from, I guess they didnt want them to see the MFG.