337 issue

/ 337 issue #1  

ebeacham

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM 723
I have a 337 D that does not want to start when i first crank it.
I have to get out and take the stop solenoid and push it to the right and then crank it.
I replaced the solenoid but it did not solve the problem
any ideas?

/ 337 issue #2  
The fuel solenoid uses 2 power supplies. 1 is steady 12 volt to hold the solenoid on. 2nd is momentary (3/4 second) power 12 volt to pull the solenoid open. Check the fuel relay in the fuse box & check all fuses.
Try swapping the relay with one of the other ones to see if solenoid starts working and something else quits.

/ 337 issue
thanks!
I will try that when i get back

/ 337 issue
You are a genius! Thanks! A 25 amp fuse was all it took.

/ 337 issue #5  
You're welcome. Now bring it over to my place and dig up my sewer line so I can fix the leak,:laughing::laughing:

/ 337 issue #6  
I just bought a used 325 and it's doing the same thing part of the time. Didn't come with any manuals and I have never seen a fuse box. I'm sure it has fuses somewhere, can anyone point me in a general direction?

Another question, a small lever behind and left of the 2 speed button in the floor. What does this do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

/ 337 issue #7  
There were a couple of vaiations depending on serial number (prodcutions series). If serial number starts with 2 or A the fuse & relay box is located next to the fuel fill cap under the Right Side hood. It is rectangular metal cover with 5/16" or 3/8" bolt at each end of the cover. If serial number starts with 5 the fuse boxes and relays are in rear engine compartment. Relays just to right of the air filter, the fuses just to right side of the hood support shock & hour meter.

There are also 2 styles of fuel solenoids used. The latest on Tier 2 and later use a direct mounted solenoid bolted directly into the fuel pump. The earlier versions used an external solenoid with an adjustable linkage rod to the manual shut off lever, if this rod is not adjusted correctly the engine could start then shut off. With the solenoid off (key off) the should be about an 1/8" gap between the shut off lever and its stop. If linkage is set too long the solenoid can not pull fully into hold position and stay after the key has returned to "run" position.

/ 337 issue #8  
Thanks for the reply. I'll look for the fuses. I don't think they are at the fuel tank so I'll look under the hood.

The fuel cut off is external. What mine is doing is it won't engage when I turn the key on. It works fine most of the time but every now and then it just does nothing. Sometimes it will work by turning the key on and off a few times. Bump the starter and cut the key back off and then try again will make it work at times. Then every now and then I will have to manually engage it and then start it up. It sounds like loose wires but as of yet I have failed to find anything wrong. Thanks again.

/ 337 issue #9  
The fuel relay works the pull circuit. Look to see if it is loose, corrodid connection, or it could be starting to burn out internally. Possilby switch it with 1 of the other relays to see if fuel solenoid and something else starts having a problem. Or just replace it, not that expensive.