Tractor
    S220 bobcat loader

Default Hauling a bobcat

When hauling a bobcat how many binders and chains should I use and should I duck take the muffler?

Tractor
    JD 4840, 450j, 310, komatsu D31px22, IH 1486, MF 135, MHF TO35

By the book says a 4 point tie down. Meaning a chain and binder @ each corner. Dont waste your time with the duct tape.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    LS R4047

Default Re: Hauling a bobcat

when I used to haul heavy equipment out of the ports to the dealerships , we had to close off the exhaust on turbocharged machines to prevent air pressure from spinning the turbo with no oil flow.naturally aspirated machines we didnt worry about. 4 point tiedown is correct, the capacity of your tiedowns must be equal to or greater than the weight of your machine.

Hope this helps.

C-ya
    Scott

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Chained at the 4 corners is described in the Operator Manual and required by most DOTs that I know of. No need to cover the exhaust, air pressure during transport can not force turbo to spin.
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Tractor
    S220 bobcat loader

In the front center and over the bucket or should I Ty the bucket separate ?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    LS R4047

With commercial trucking ,Texas ( my home state ) any and all attachments have to have their own tiedown , so yes the bucket by law would have to have a securment device on it as well ( even though its still attached to the machine ) LAWYERS !!!!! if I wasnt required to go into the scalehouses , ie pulling my own on my personal trailer, then no, I wouldnt worry about it.

I was taught to drive trucks on the farm, was told as long as the hand of GOD could reach down, pickup my trailer ,turn it upside down and I didnt loose my load, then I was doing ok

Hope this helps.
    C-ya
    Scott

Tractor
    S220 bobcat loader

Thanks

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    CT235

Take the Working Load Limit of each binder, divide by two, and then sum all of the binders. That must be equal to or greater than the weight of the machine. Minimum four binders.

On a rubber tired machine, you go to the nearest tie down that will triangulate the load. On a tracked machine, you go criss cross. Do not let the chains rub each other in this case.
    Tim.

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by Bladehauler View Post
    I was taught to drive trucks on the farm, was told as long as the hand of GOD could reach down, pickup my trailer ,turn it upside down and I didnt loose my load, then I was doing ok
    Excellent tiedown strategy. Much better then the idiots I see running around with their Zeroturns, Bobcats, etc held in place with just the parking brake.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love