M600 starter removal

/ M600 starter removal #1  

istvanv

Tractor
bobcat
I couldn't find info on removing the starter any where.. here's how I did it.

removed the cab had a motor hoist and no helper so it wouldn't go high enough to clear the ARMs so I pushed it over the side toppling motor hoist and cab to the floor but it was off. Tough cab..nothing broke.

Then I removed the cross bar that holds the generator and removed it. then I could see the starter. I put some wood over the front so I could lay my 230 lbs over the foot area and work with various wrenches to try to get the starter bolts loose.

I realized I would have to remove the motor shroud. this required a 3/8 socket and a little bit of work with a sawszall, there are screws inside and outside the heat shroud. after removing the hardware a sawszall was needed to cut one stubborn piece of sheet metal the the crowbar had trouble with.

What I found at this point was that rodents had been living in heat shroud for a long time. I cant imagine any air passed through so I wonder what good is the shroud?

After removing the sheet metal I could get to the starter and hooked a jumper cable to the lead that goes into the starter and gave it a test, and it spun. this is the small screw going into the motor. so the solenoid is bad.

I tried taking it off without removing the starter but no luck. two nuts were east to get to in plain sight and one was hidden underneath, The studs came out for all three. MY craftsman 9/16 long box wrench saved the day.

another other tool that was nice was a pair of small vice grips 5". they helped with the odd sized nuts and saved a few crawls out of the machine.

I found it necessary to put my feet on the bucket and do a pushup to get out. that was good for me but not fun at the time.... pictures follow if I can figure out how to post them...

Attachments

• DSC00816.JPG
    DSC00816.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,412
  • DSC00814.JPG
    DSC00814.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 840
  • DSC00790.JPG
    DSC00790.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 780
  • DSC00810.JPG
    DSC00810.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 745
  • DSC00798.JPG
    DSC00798.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 750
Last edited:
   / M600 starter removal
today I'll start putting things back I ordered a solenoid from Parts Small engine Plus

Small Engine Parts, Lawn Mower Parts, Marine Parts, ATV Parts, Dirt Bike Parts, Snowmobile Parts and More.

part was a sdr6058 and it looks like it will fit. made in china...of course

25 bucks with shipping.

I'll post another reply once it's in and cranks. I'm wondering wheterh to reistal the cab. I only use as himeowner for scarping driveway and maybe snow removal and to mpve things around in the bucket. no dumping or high work.

I did see the video of someone dumping a load of dirt on the themselves.

I also have a feeling the cab has saved people from falling tree limbs when clearing brush.

/ M600 starter removal #3  
Thanks for posting. I have a M610 which I may need to change the starter on some day so your notes will be helpful.

I wonder how much the weight of the cab contributes to counterbalancing a load in the bucket (if at all). By removing a couple hundred pounds from behind the pivot point (front axle), you would lose mass that offsets a load in the bucket from tipping the machine forward. At least that's how I see it. If it were me I would figure a way to get it back on. Both for the counterweight value but maybe more importantly for the safety feature of it protecting the operator.

/ M600 starter removal #4  
Normally you would not follow the procedure 'istvanv' used to R & R a starter. His did not appear to be 'normal' however with "residents" inside the shroud and all. Generally...the procedure would be to disconnect battery cables and wiring to solenoid, remove front brace on starter (many are running without them) and then use a 9/16 universal (or 9/16 on a universal) and combination of extensions to remove the three starter bolts allowing you to slide starter out. You are working blind most of the time, not one of my favorite jobs on the 600 wisconsin series but I do several every year. No need to move or remove anything else.

/ M600 starter removal #5  
I signed up to this forum just so I could thank you for the very useful info on the starter removal. I used to work on old British sport cars and always complained how little room there was to do anything. Wow! After removing a starter on a Bobcat, those old British cars seem like a piece of cake!

/ M600 starter removal
still haven't finished bobcat, but starter and generator are back in. I found that rodents have not been on the other side of the motor. they must prefer the inside. some head bolts were also loose. The metal wasn't really that hard to remove just the piece that goes between the two cylinders had to be sawed. only a half inch or so. It's back together. Thanks for the comment about the rear starter support plate. I won't put it back.

does anyone know torque rating on head bolts?

the reaaon I took the cab off was so I could get to all the other things that need fixing. It is much easier to work on w/o cab.

/ M600 starter removal #7  
istvanv......I was in no way suggesting not to use the support bracket, in fact I highly recommend it's use. I was simply stating that many folks do not replace it after replacing a starter. The starter is held in place by three studs that are bolted into the 'shroud' and failure to replace the front support will allow considerable vibration and eventual cracking of the shroud and therefore failure of the starter to correctly contact the 'ring gear'. The shroud is a $350.00 item......in short "use that support"