751 Bobcat fuel problems

/ 751 Bobcat fuel problems #1  

yod67

Tractor
JD 4200, JD x360, JD z950r JD x739
I have a 751 Bobcat that quite running the other day. Changed the fuel filter and primed then it started and ran till I was done with it. Next day went to start it and wouldn't start. Pumped the primer ball and I started and ran for awhile the quite. I could keep it running if I kept on pumping the primer ball. Could this be a fuel pump problem or a air leak in the fuel line? or something else?

/ 751 Bobcat fuel problems #2  
Could be sucking some air but also could be the lift pump failed or have something stuck in the diaphragm.

/ 751 Bobcat fuel problems #3  
Common problem is the pick up in the tank snapping off. (plastic). I found a forum for it by googling. Mine did same thing. I just ran a new line to the pump and a 1 gallon jug to get it in the garage. Have not tackled it yet. That tank is very hard to get to. One guy on that forum said he just drilled a hole in the tank where accessible and run a new pick up tube.

/ 751 Bobcat fuel problems
Must of been the filter. I have started and use it 4 or 5 times with no problems.

Well the problem came back. Even worse it happened in a horse pen on a job site. After a while of priming and pumping fuel to the injector, I drained the battery and had to leave it in horse pen for the weekend. Today I rigged an external fuel tank with hose attached to the gallon jug. This got me back to the shop to work on it. Now had to find the hose/elbow that goes into the tank, heck, seeing the tank itself was impossible. Finally found the elbow and removed it from the tank. Sure enough, the tube inside the tank was cracked and fell back into the tank. I would post some pics. but i can't even see it myself. I had to lift the cage up and work from the top of the loader. Reached in from the top right side. It pulled right out. Now waiting for parts from the dealer.

/ 751 Bobcat fuel problems #6  
I'm glad you found the problem! I still Haven't done mine yet. I couldn't see it at all. Buried. But you could feel it though?

Look for the wires that go to the tank. It's in that vacinity. You have to go over the hydraulic pump and then down and feel around for a elbow. It's tight because My forearm is all scratched up. I had to lay down on a board to get at it. Good luck YesDeere

/ 751 Bobcat fuel problems #8  
Thank you! I may have to talk one of my smaller buddies into doing it. I may not fit

Got it fixed and is running now. But what a PITA to get it back togather. Figured out a few things while replacing uptake tube/strainer. One thing is to leave a little room (between the barb on the elbow and top of the elbow)for the rubber fitting that fits on the elbow. If the rubber fitting is in the positon at the top of elbow it will not go into the tank. So I pulled the hose and the clamp down the elbow to let the rubber fitting rest in relaxed position and not expanded. Then inserted the tube into the tank and pressed the elbow down and it seated the rubber fitting into the tank opening. Now my forearm is a little sore from the tight fit. Very tight but it can be done. Here is what the new tube looks like but the hose is tight up against the top of the elbow.
Fuel-uptake-tube-and-strain.gif

/ 751 Bobcat fuel problems #10  
I have a problem with a 743 not starting, I have been told about this hose, but the mechanic that we talked to never mentioned such a hose. I have checked everything that relates to starting including the voltage to the glow plugs and making sure they are getting hot, they seem to check out, I have run fuel check to the pump, and did pull the injector line off to check for fuel, not sure I am getting any to the injectors, really not sure how to check for fuel or how much should be going into the injectors. anybody out there know how much fuel should be going there or any other suggestions about how I may get this thing started.