Traction lock issue on 773

/ Traction lock issue on 773 #1  

Kal130

Silver Member
Was using my 773 last night and had it parked. I got in to move it and the wheel locks would not disengage. Bucket works fine. It has a panel of lights behind the seat and all are on except the traction lock light. The wonderful owners manual tells me that if this light is off you cannot move forward or backwards. Thank you Mr. Obvious. I can't find anywhere that tells me what is supposed to turn the light on though. I was reading about the traction lock override in the manual though. It said it allows you to drive the loader while not in the seat (for backhoe use an such). So I stood in the bucket, pushed the override button, and proceeded to drive it back to the barn. If I get in it though, it will not release the locks. So I know what ever releases it is working fine, I just don't know what tells it to release if I'm in the seat.

/ Traction lock issue on 773 #2  
Think of the traction over ride as a park brake switch. It has to be in the unlocked position in order to drive with or without the seat bar up. Does the button decal say "traction over ride", "push to over ride" or "push to operate"? Try setting in the seat with seat bar down, engine running and push the button.

/ Traction lock issue on 773
SSdoxie said:
Think of the traction over ride as a park brake switch. It has to be in the unlocked position in order to drive with or without the seat bar up. Does the button decal say "traction over ride", "push to over ride" or "push to operate"? Try setting in the seat with seat bar down, engine running and push the button.

I've tried and according to manual the override button only works if you are not in seat and that's exactly what it does. Meant for backhoe attachment.

Ok, so apparently it was the parking break was on. I couldn't tell it was actually on till I crawled in there with a trouble light to look at it. I'm used to operating the newer style that has the parking brake toggle switch and the light that tells you it's on. I thought that you pushed down on the brake to lock it and pulled it up to release. Apparently that is the exact opposite of how it works. Who'd a thunk it.

/ Traction lock issue on 773 #5  
Glad you got it figured out. I was going to ask it had the rocker swith or the older foot pedal on the floor. Those foot pedal style can get wet and act up too.

SSdoxie said:
Glad you got it figured out. I was going to ask it had the rocker swith or the older foot pedal on the floor. Those foot pedal style can get wet and act up too.

Good to know. I guess I it acts up now I will know the symptoms. I know I have had the thing flipped up since I bought it. I guess it was just a hair shy of making the switch though.