Bobcat with Ford Pinto engine

/ Bobcat with Ford Pinto engine #1  

roofgunner

Tractor
NH TL80
My buddy, who is not too mechanically inclined, has a Bobcat with a 4 Cyl Ford motor and since we help each other and I have access to the Bobcat I try to help him with it. He was complaining that the machine was missing and running erratically at full throttle. Another guy put a new Zenith carb on it and it was a relatively new fuel pump. I told him I'd look at it and he said he had cleaned the fuel tank and put a new filter on it. He also asked me to hook up a choke cable which I did. It starts very easily and runs smooth to a certain point but when it's put under load it acts like it misses and runs rough. I noticed that there is no vacuum hose attached to the advance diaphram on the distributor and I can't find a place to attach one on the intake manifold. There is a place on the top of the intake manifold that is capped off but it does not look like a normal vacuum tube as found on older V8's The shop manual shows one for timing setting. With a normal gasoline engine (and this one has points) it should have the vacuum line and it should work to advance the spark.

Now, since this is a Bobcat ( and a sick one at that) do they just not run a vacuum advance or has someone hacked this machine. I know he bought it used several years ago. ????? Any help would be appreciated.

/ Bobcat with Ford Pinto engine #2  
My buddy, who is not too mechanically inclined, has a Bobcat with a 4 Cyl Ford motor and since we help each other and I have access to the Bobcat I try to help him with it. He was complaining that the machine was missing and running erratically at full throttle. Another guy put a new Zenith carb on it and it was a relatively new fuel pump. I told him I'd look at it and he said he had cleaned the fuel tank and put a new filter on it. He also asked me to hook up a choke cable which I did. It starts very easily and runs smooth to a certain point but when it's put under load it acts like it misses and runs rough. I noticed that there is no vacuum hose attached to the advance diaphram on the distributor and I can't find a place to attach one on the intake manifold. There is a place on the top of the intake manifold that is capped off but it does not look like a normal vacuum tube as found on older V8's The shop manual shows one for timing setting. With a normal gasoline engine (and this one has points) it should have the vacuum line and it should work to advance the spark.

Now, since this is a Bobcat ( and a sick one at that) do they just not run a vacuum advance or has someone hacked this machine. I know he bought it used several years ago. ????? Any help would be appreciated.

If it has a diaphram on the distributor then it needs the pipe.
If not it could be the condenser breaking down that is causing the rough running, shows up under load, no missing etc on light throttle when condenser going just under load.
Extreme case the engine will backfire under heavy throttle application.

/ Bobcat with Ford Pinto engine #4  
I bet that the carb that was replaced had a vacume port on it.

/ Bobcat with Ford Pinto engine
It at one time it had to have a port for the distributor and I agree about the condenser. If the spark isn't advancing then the engine is being dogged out. Probably I should instal new points, condenser, cap and rotor. thanks