Shutting Down.

/ Shutting Down. #1  

ProGreenscapes

Tractor
Bobcat T200
New to the forum. Been beating my head against the wall for 2 weeks now and I am stuck.

T200 Bobcat never had a problem until 2 weeks ago when I was driving down the street and then BAM stopped cold threw me into the bar shut off. It beeped once immediatly, gauges sweeped like you just turned the key on. it starts right back up every time. No codes. It does it so randomly some times it will run for an hour or 5 mins. Itll do it while its idleing or right in the middle of working it. All fluids ok, primer ball fine, new fuel filter checked the hydro lock solonoid, checked the fuel shut off solonoid. I am at a wall and it is a key part to my business.... any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated. Thanks...

/ Shutting Down. #2  
Sounds like a classic case of WTF!! you talk to any dealer or service guys to get ideas? Not having any experience on your machine but just taking a logical Tshooting perspective I'd start by trying to isolate different components. You mention it acts like it was just turned on. Have you tried to replicate the issue as in have it running and then quickly turn the key off and then back on? If it were me I'd focus on the ignition system as it sounds like it's losing contact intermitently.

/ Shutting Down.
I have tried to isolate the issue somewhat shaking wiring and stuff. I thought I had a good lead with a short in the ACS harness because I seemed to get it to do it once n a while wiggling it So I disconnected the ACS harness completely and it still did it so I was back to square uno. The dealer doesnt know what the heck it is. They thought an alternator so I replaced it without hesitation and it did not fix the problem. Called back and they were like hmm how about the hydro lock which is a decent guess except if that lock solonoid is back and it locks the hydros it wont cause the computer to restart or kill the motor. So thats how I ruled that out. I dont want to get into the bad habit of throwing parts at it because that can get really costly real fast. Thanks.

/ Shutting Down. #4  
Since your main clue so far is that it acts like the key is shut off, I think that is the place to start with trouble shooting. Definitely sounds like loss of 12 volt power, intermittently. The lack of computer codes is consistent with this theory, as the computer system would see the power loss as a normal key-off.

I'd start by checking all fuses, and the main electrical connections at the battery and frame grounds. Visually inspect for corrosion, and wiggle for looseness. I agree with dal929 that a bad ignition switch could cause your symptoms; I've had a number of ignition switched go bad on different equipment. If you can get to the ignition switch you could try jumpering across the run contacts, after you start it, if it still quits, this test would rule out the ignition switch run contacts possibility. The challenge here is to devise tests to rule out components; as you say, you don't want to throw parts at it.

Good luck. Please let us know how your getting along with your trouble shooting.

/ Shutting Down. #5  
Since your main clue so far is that it acts like the key is shut off, I think that is the place to start with trouble shooting. Definitely sounds like loss of 12 volt power, intermittently. The lack of computer codes is consistent with this theory, as the computer system would see the power loss as a normal key-off.

I'd start by checking all fuses, and the main electrical connections at the battery and frame grounds. Visually inspect for corrosion, and wiggle for looseness. I agree with dal929 that a bad ignition switch could cause your symptoms; I've had a number of ignition switched go bad on different equipment. If you can get to the ignition switch you could try jumpering across the run contacts, after you start it, if it still quits, this test would rule out the ignition switch run contacts possibility. The challenge here is to devise tests to rule out components; as you say, you don't want to throw parts at it.

Good luck. Please let us know how your getting along with your trouble shooting.

Very good ideas. Also check the "switched power" relay in the fues panel. Look for loose connection in its socket, check for loose wires in back of fuse panel, could swap the relay with any of the others as they are all the same.

/ Shutting Down. #6  
Welcome aboard

/ Shutting Down.
Very good ideas. Also check the "switched power" relay in the fues panel. Look for loose connection in its socket, check for loose wires in back of fuse panel, could swap the relay with any of the others as they are all the same.

I have swapped relays but did not check the switched power relay... hmm that I will try. keep the suggestions coming. thanks.

/ Shutting Down. #8  
Check battery cables, and ground from frame to cab. Something is making it "think" you turned it off for an instant. An occasional short that doesn't blow a fused circuit will cause havoc as well, like in the positive to the starter chaffed bare somewhere