Anyone know of a Forestry mulcher that will fit an S250?

/ Anyone know of a Forestry mulcher that will fit an S250? #1  

gdk771

Does anyone know of a forestry mulcher that will work with a Bobcat S250? I have a 104 acre farm that was clear cut and have a lot of junk trees I need to thin. I have around 3000 trees per acre and need to thin them down to 600 trees per acre. I don't know if I have enough hydraulic flow to support one or not. Anyone with any suggestions?

/ Anyone know of a Forestry mulcher that will fit an S250? #2  
To run a tree mulcher you will need a high flow skid steer (30GPM@3000PSI or more). the S250 will do a nice job. i have a couple mulching attachments available. please give me a call to discuss your application--size of trees and your expectations. Thanks Jim ---513-284-8990

/ Anyone know of a Forestry mulcher that will fit an S250? #3  
The standard S250 has 19.5 GPM flow @ 3300 psi. You have the pressure but not necessarily the flow unless you have the Hi-flow option. To check t see if it is Hi-flow look at the front of the lift arm just below the couplers to see if there is a small decal there that says Hi-flow. You can also turn key on, press the auxiliary button to turn front aux. on then press the Hi-flow button, if the button lights up it means Hi-flow was programed into it so it probably does.

/ Anyone know of a Forestry mulcher that will fit an S250? #4  
Does anyone know of a forestry mulcher that will work with a Bobcat S250? I have a 104 acre farm that was clear cut and have a lot of junk trees I need to thin. I have around 3000 trees per acre and need to thin them down to 600 trees per acre. I don't know if I have enough hydraulic flow to support one or not. Anyone with any suggestions?

You need to tell us what model you have. G series, K series, high flow, etc.
There's a lot involved in running a mulcher especially on 104 acres of trees. That would be a big job for a dedicated 400 hp machine.
Assuming you have the flow and pressure requirments, you need to make sure your radiator is clean and that you have a lexan door. Please do not try and mulch without the lexan door insert.

There are different manufactures, Fae, Fecon, Denis Cimaf, Loftness, Gyro-trac, etc. I believe there are several low-flow heads but I don't think they would be up to the task unless your trees are really small in the 1-2 inch range. Even with small trees, if they are in dense clusters, you need a strong mulcher (assuming your machine puts out the pressure and hydraulics) to support it.

I used to run a mulcher on an s220 and s300 g series with only 30.9 gpm at 3000 psi. i would say that's the absolute minimum to mulch and it takes a lot of practice to make up for the lack of power.

Get us some more information and we can point you in the right direction.

/ Anyone know of a Forestry mulcher that will fit an S250?
OK I finally made it back to my farm. I have a standard flow unit. No high flow sticker and the high flow button light does not stay on. Trees are Loblolly pine and the ones I want to thin out are around 2-3 inch size. I want to keep the bigger ones. I'm going to try and attach a few pictures also to give you an idea of how dense they are. I also meant to state I had around 2000 trees per acre not 3000 as I previously posted.
Air1a.jpgTreesa.jpgAir2a.jpgTrees1a.jpgTrees3a.jpgTrees4a.jpgTrees5a.jpg

Last edited:
One other thing I wanted to ask here if I could. I have a Brown Tree Cutter that I tried to use with a Ford 5000 tractor but when I backed into the trees, I could only go about 10-15 feet before the pine trees "bunched up" behind the cutter and it created enough drag to cause my tractor wheels to spin. It was suggested to me today that I perhaps use a Bobcat to 3 point hitch adapter with a hydraulic motor to allow the use of the Brown Tree Cutter on the front of the Bobcat. I found one adapter here from searching the forum

3 PT. Hitch Adaptor without Hyraulic Unit

but don't know if it is beefy enough to support this tree cutter. This thing is pretty heavy and is quite a load for my Ford 5000. If I could get it high enough off the ground so I could move it up and down to mulch the pines and keep it level at the same time it might just work however. I can supposedly cut up to 5 inch trees with this thing but don't want to try that ;) It mows down the small pines just fine but after they start bunching up I can't go any further. I don't know how big of a hydraulic motor it would take to drive this thing also or if my standard flow would run it. Here is a picture of the tree cutter. It is an older model from the late 90's I was told by Brown (90 hp gearbox). The newer units have 165 hp gearboxes.

Brown_Cuttera.jpg

/ Anyone know of a Forestry mulcher that will fit an S250? #7  
If you put your heavy cutter on a 3 point adapter, it moves it out farther and makes it harder to lift.

You could remove the PTO shaft and put a hydraulic motor right on the gear box, that is the way mine is made.

Get the thickest SSQA mounting plate and hinge it at the top to your 3 point frame, like this:
PA010003.JPG PC200019.JPG

It works great out front, 7' wide, it weighs 1800 pounds, cuts up to 4" trees and is low flow.

You might have to post in the Hydraulics forum to find the right hydraulic motor.

Thanks for the suggestion Xfaxman. Nice setup you have there.

/ Anyone know of a Forestry mulcher that will fit an S250? #9  
Thanks for the suggestion Xfaxman. Nice setup you have there.

Thank you. I am lucky to be retired and have all the equipment needed to do what I need to do.