873 Bobcat fuel pickup and miscellaneous

/ 873 Bobcat fuel pickup and miscellaneous #1  

reeseman

Tractor
873 Bobcat
Hi every one this is my first time here on the forum and have been reading the post's for hour's now :thumbsup: lol kind of addicting . I read a post here about a fuel pickup repair on a different model # 753 then my 873 and it seems they are similar to replace . I also was reading that the engine had to be pulled to remove the tank. I'm not sure if all 873's are that much different but the repair manual I have says only to remove the the hydro-pump that's above the tank to remove the tank.Ill post that info from the manual. No pictures but if any one really needs them i can also get them.

FUEL TANK
Removal And Installation
Remove the cover (Item 1) [A] which is installed over the
drain plug.

Remove the drain plug (Item 1) .

Drain the fuel into a container.

Check the drain plug and replace if necessary.

Disconnect the fuel fill hose (Item 1) [C].

Remove the hydraulic/hydrostatic filter housing
assembly. (See Page 2–1.)

Remove the engine/hydrostatic pump assembly from the
loader. (See Page 7–1.)

Disconnect the tank vent hose (Item 1) [D].

FUEL TANK (Cont’d)
Removal And Installation (Cont’d)
Remove the bolts (Item 1) [A] from the battery holddown
plate.

Remove the holddown plate from the loader.

Remove the mounting plate (Item 1) for the battery
holddown plate.

Lift the fuel tank and remove it from the loader frame [C].

I also have another problem my chain case keeps getting water in it and for the life of me i can not found out how its getting in there. I need to get this fixed the water can not be good on anything in there and I hear that replacing the chains is very costly it is expensive to keep draining the case and refilling with 10 gal of hydraulic fluid every 6 months . Any one else heard of or seen this problem?

Last problem is I have a hydraulic leak but i can not find it either I think it my be one of the lines seeping because it is not a fast leak I can run the machine for a couple hours on level ground then once i get on a incline it runs out the end of the belly pan.....the amount i would say close to a quart . The thing is all the lines look as greasy -wet as the next line making it hard to tell where the leak is or which line it is if it is a line leaking. Any tips on this ?

Any recommendations for a good online parts dealer?

Any help or suggestions will be very appreciated

Sincerely Reeseman

Last edited:
   / 873 Bobcat fuel pickup and miscellaneous #2  
I have a 763 so not sure if this is exactly the same. However, in your post you stated "Remove the engine/hydrostatic pump assembly from the
loader. (See Page 7–1.)". So looks like your engine has to be removed to replace the fuel tank. It does on mine. The engine sits right on top of the tank. (Stupid design - but nothing you can do about it) Crazy engineers for sure.
As far as your water issue in the chain case.... my guess is one or more of the 3 case covers has a bad gasket. Is your unit left outdoors? Where rain water can get in there? By the way, you don't have to buy a new Bobcat gasket. Just put a bead of silicon on the cover or opening before you bolt it back in place. Seems to me the cover between you legs leaks the most. It's the easiest one to get to at least! Good luck and let us know how you make out.

/ 873 Bobcat fuel pickup and miscellaneous #3  
Oh, by the way, on your hydraulic leak. That's a lot in two hours. Unless it's an obvious leak you can see (and you say you can') you really need to pressure wash the heck out of the inside mess you have in there. Bet you'll find it then. Plus you'll have a cleaner area to work on. Also, do the pressure washing BEFORE you do your chain case covers cause if that was the leak problem there, you get more water in the case. Then you'll only have to change that oil one time.
This is a picture of the chain case opening between your feet that I was putting a new gasket on.
Also how I emptied the oil out of it with a hand pump.

Attachments

• Bobcat ChaincaseOilChange 9-10-11 002.jpg
    Bobcat ChaincaseOilChange 9-10-11 002.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 3,162
  • Bobcat ChaincaseOilChange 9-10-11 001.jpg
    Bobcat ChaincaseOilChange 9-10-11 001.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 6,194
   / 873 Bobcat fuel pickup and miscellaneous
Oh, by the way, on your hydraulic leak. That's a lot in two hours. Unless it's an obvious leak you can see (and you say you can') you really need to pressure wash the heck out of the inside mess you have in there. Bet you'll find it then. Plus you'll have a cleaner area to work on. Also, do the pressure washing BEFORE you do your chain case covers cause if that was the leak problem there, you get more water in the case. Then you'll only have to change that oil one time.
This is a picture of the chain case opening between your feet that I was putting a new gasket on.
Also how I emptied the oil out of it with a hand pump.

Hi thanks for the info.. yes I seen the word (engine) stated in the manual I just did not want to believe it . I really didn't catch it until I was adding it here to the forum post.So yea i am sure my engine would also need to be pulled.

I did add a silicone gasket to the center plate 6 months ago still getting water in the case. Ill start checking every thing now. I just got done pressure washing it. That sure did make a difference.

I also installed my new fuel stem today but the machine will not stay running and for the little amount it does run its blowing a greyish smoke and runs very rough.
At first I thought i just had that much air in the system .
I don't think that's the case now .
I think my fuel lift pump is shot. What kind of pressure should i have at the pump ?
When i pulled the line off and turned the motor over it was just enough pressure to push the fuel out of the line .
I could not feel any pressure when i placed my thumb over the end of the line.
If the pump is bad can the pump be rebuilt or do i have to buy another?
This is my fuel lift pump I am talking about.
Can this be weak and not pushing enough fuel to my injector pumps?

Last edited:
OK I really need some advice here I will make a short summery of what has and is going on . 873 Turbo diesel 1500 HRS and has always been properly maintained . Never has it give me a problem in cold or warm weather. A friend of mine was using the machine when the problems started. He said was running perfect and then all at once it just shut off. Trouble shooting lead me to the fuel pick up line. I know for a fact it was off. I installed a new one yesterday and used the hand pump to pump out air and fuel in. I could get it to start but ran very rough and was making loud noise 's i have never heard before. I thought my starter was staying engaged after the motor was running but after close inspection and several different sets of ears I think it is the turbo making this noise. It will not run longer then 15 to 20 sec , a lot of smoke greyish black to greyish white in color.
Any one here know much about the turbo's can they be rebuilt? Because i cant afford a new on.

/ 873 Bobcat fuel pickup and miscellaneous #7  
Problem started suddenly after running out of fuel (pick tube broke off)? That won't damage the turbo. The Duetz engine will run rough and spew blackish/gray smoke if there is fuel supply problem or injection pump(s) not completely primed. Install a fuel pressure gauge "Teed" into the line at outlet of lift pump and run at full throttle pressure should be 4 to 7 psi. with engine running. Note: there is also a removable screen in the lift pump, make sure it is clean and closely inspect the fuel supply lines from tank to the pumps for any hose pinch or restriction.

Water in Chain case: There is a pressure vent in one of the covers, not sure if it is in front or center cover, but check it to make sure it has not been broken off or damaged.

Thanks SSdoxie ...Turbo's do not come into the play until your around 1200 to 1600 RPM's and more. I am not questioning this but does the Turbine spin any at all if the motor is running between 600 to 800 rpm's ? Reason I ask is because of the noise i hear and when the engine die's it still makes this noise for a second or 2 . The noise would remind you of a bad loose bearing on something spinning or like a starter bendix staying engaged while the motor is running. And I am sure it is not the starter. I will test my fuel psi at the lift pump and check the screen.I will also check and see if my injectors are air locked. I will also check for water in my fuel.
Also when I go back to work on my machine if I do not have any luck with the fuel trouble shooting. Can any tell me the easiest way to check and see if the timing jumped a tooth or two? Reason I want to know as much as possible before i head back is because the machine is not sitting here at my home and is out of the way for sure. So just trying to check as much as possible in one trip.

I appreciate you taking the time to help!

I found this post on a different forum its a good little read I suppose if the fuel is not my problem it could be a timing issue.

bobcat 873 big problem?

Last edited:
   / 873 Bobcat fuel pickup and miscellaneous #9  
I had a 763 and had to replace the fuel pick up line, took a few tries to get all the air out of the system using the bleed valve at the injector (I think that's where it was?). I'm near Romney as well, good luck!

Hi again i forgot i even posted this been a while as i have way to many irons in the fire. I got back around to working on my Bcat and boy i have major problems. I put a new timing belt on and this did help it it run better but i had no idea the damage the engine really had!!!. I just took the head off today and the turbo is busted completely and i have 3 loose connecting rods and the one the bearing has to be completely gone i can move the piston up and down about 3/4 of a inch with no movement of the crankshaft. I know i just posted a thread for parts but I am deleting it since i found this older post. I need a Crankshaft and rebuild kit where is a good place to purchase this? The engine is a BF4M 1011 f. I did find the turbo on ebay for 650.00 any better deals any one knows off? And Thanks HarryN,SSdoxie and Davidmartin88 for you previous info.