New member needing help! 963 leaking oil in the chain case

/ New member needing help! 963 leaking oil in the chain case #1  

BC963

Tractor
Bobcat 963
I recently purchased a 963 bobcat, knowing it had hydraulic leaking in the chain case. The guy I bought it from said he replaced both drive motor shaft seals and it didn't fix the problem, the motors are strong and pull straight. It leaks about 1gph when at idle, not working and 2gph when working it doesn't seem to leak when the machine is off after it has lost pressure. He believes it to be an internal drive motor seal and the motors need to be rebuilt, it seems to me there would be a loss of power or something wrong with their operation - am I correct here? Is there somewhere else hyd. oil can get into the chain case? Any help would be greatly appreciated... :confused2:

/ New member needing help! 963 leaking oil in the chain case #2  
Welcome to TractorByNet.

/ New member needing help! 963 leaking oil in the chain case
Thanks, it's good to be here interacting with all these good people like you.

/ New member needing help! 963 leaking oil in the chain case #4  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the Bobcat Construction Equipment forum. :)

/ New member needing help! 963 leaking oil in the chain case #5  
The 963 has a hydraulic activated Park Brake built into the gear reduction case inside the chain case. If getting a leak from the hydraulic reservoir into the chain case and problem is NOT the seal at the drive motor, most likely there is a leak somewhere in the brake circuit.

/ New member needing help! 963 leaking oil in the chain case
Thank you SSdoxie,

You hit the nail on the head, I found it Monday; thank goodness. I was starting to get worried that I made decision buying the machine but, it turned out to be a good deal at $7900 with only 1093hrs.

Do you know of anything else that is common to fail on this machine?

Thanks again for your help.

/ New member needing help! 963 leaking oil in the chain case #7  
Wow, good deal but you didn't mention the year. I just bought a 1998-963 here in Alberta, Canada & I paid $15,500 and thought I got a good deal, with 3100 hr. I was writing the cheque when another guy came in to buy it. It's got the servo drive as I am told and this makes it very jerky. If you sneak up on something, ya got to throttle right down. What a tank!....just thought I would respond....Dean