Landscape rake or tiller?

/ Landscape rake or tiller? #1  

JJZ 109

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380/LA344 loader/60" MMM, Bobcat S185 skid steer, JD X394 4 wheel steer mower
Recently had some excavation work done. Had some sod scraped out to put down stone for a future concrete pad and dug a short trench to bury an old fire pit. The soil here is pretty much clay. I spread the chunky stuff around into some low spots on the property and back dragged it the best I could with my skid steer bucket.
Thinking about renting (or buying if one were to appear on CL at the right price) something to bust up and smooth out this stuff. Would I be better off with a tiller or Bobcat landscape rake to use on my S185 that does not have high flow?
Thank all!

Last edited:
   / Landscape rake or tiller? #2  
I have heavy clay as well. Very hard and dry right now. I used my ratchet rake to sooth a very rough area in front of some new pasture gates. I had removed a couple of smallish trees bushes and it left the ground rough and uneven. I was able to get it smoothed out with the ratchet rake on the loader.

/ Landscape rake or tiller? #3  
Recently had some excavation work done. Had some sod scraped out to put down stone for a future concrete pad and dug a short trench to bury an old fire pit. The soil here is pretty much clay. I spread the chunky stuff around into some low spots on the property and back dragged it the best I could with my skid steer bucket.
Thinking about renting (or buying if one were to appear on CL at the right price) something to bust up and smooth out this stuff. Would I be better off with a tiller or Bobcat landscape rake to use on my S185 that does not have high flow?
Thank all!

Landscape rake would be better of the 2 choices listed. It will break up the clay and level at same time. The bigger hard clumps will go in the bucket, so best if done after a rain and just starting to dry.
A soil conditioner would be the better tool for the job described. It will bust it up and level at the same time.