Bobcat 463 vs other brands

/ Bobcat 463 vs other brands #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I'm thinking of selling my Kubota B8200, and getting a small skid steer. I do stuff around my property, and on customer sites for our little landscape company.

The Bobcat 463 is small, and fits through gates and narrow side yards easily. At 22hp, it has more available power than my 19hp Kubota.

I have used one on a job(rented form the local Bobcat dealer). I had 37" clearance, and squeaked through fine. I was doing grading, so only used buckets.

This machine worked pretty well. I have a couple concerns though... One, is it a good idea to get the smallest unit? It can work pretty hard. If I do, I'll have to do mowing chores with my old Farmall, since I will give up the mowing capability of the Kubota CUT. My Kubota is on the small size(B2710 sized, but only 19hp, actaullly the great granddaddy to the B2710).

Is the Bobcat the only answer? I looked at the Cat web page, but did not see a comparable unit. New Holland appeared to have both a gas and a diesel "compact" skid steer.

My skid steer expierience has been with this 463 for a day, and with a S185 Bobcat(56hp turbo hiflow).

Any thoughts and or advice? This will be a spring time thing if I do it. I just need to start thinking about it now, to plan for implements, how much it will cost, ect.

/ Bobcat 463 vs other brands #2  
I have a NH LS120 ( the smallest machine they make) with the onan gas engine. it replaces the L250 I had for 10 years. I love it !! It's basically a gas powered scoop shovel and is ultra handy, fits in a full sized pick-up with the gate closed (barely). I made a pallet fork attachment for it, cut down an old meyers snow blade to fit it, and made a cable plow to install radio dog fence with it. I also got the remote aux hyd to the bucket for other attachments. (post auger etc.) I have the big NH L 785 at my business for the large projects and keep it's little brother at home for use there . Don't be afraid of it's small size, The're good worker's..........TOM

/ Bobcat 463 vs other brands
My idea is to duplicate a rental setup the Sacramento Bobcat dealer has. They have a 18' trailer with a rack on the front. They place a MT50 walk behind track loader on the trailer. On the rack, they put:
tiller
trencher
fork frame/forks
smooth bucket
tooth bucket
grapple bucket
auger w/9", 12", and 18" auger bits

I would like to do the 463, or equivilant
tiller
trencher
smooth bucket
tooth bucket
auger w/9", 12", and 18" auger bits

I think that would be a pretty good package to take out to customer sites and get work done.

When I need to, I have access to the S185 Bobcat, and could also rent others as needed.

/ Bobcat 463 vs other brands #4  
Robert
I think that would be a great setup. I have the Cat 216 which is the smallest skid steer they make so far and it’s a medium sized unit, not what you’re looking for. I don’t have any experience with Bobcats, just Cat’s, JD, NH’s, and Case units but I have always heard the contractors like the bobcats really well. I think Daryl (5030) uses something like what you’re taking about for cleaning out this horse stalls. You might want to ask him about it.

I do have one caution if you haven’t already discovered it. Hydraulic implements are really expensive. Make sure you figure in those prices to your upgrade budget. On the other hand skid steers are the way to go for quick loading. They put the power where you need it and get things done quick. It should be fun shopping for that toy.

Eric

Ya, hydraulic stuff is expensive. I think the larger trencher for the bigger Bobcat's is about $6k. I know an auger will be lots more than the pto/3pt on my Kubota. But, it'll have down pressure /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I'm still on the fence on this. One thing, a skid steer can do lots of work. It can also mess stuff up, what with skid steering and all. I like the bigger units; it scares me a bit to get the small unit. But, being small is the advantage in residencial access.

I will have to sell the Kubota, a scraper, and post hole digger for the down on this setup, if we go that way.

/ Bobcat 463 vs other brands #6  
Robert I hate to be the bearer of bad news. A skid steer is made to lift. They don't put down pressure on an auger worth a flip. The little one will probably not put a pound more down than your tractor.

I have a JCB165. Sometimes I put a hundred gallon propylene tank full of water when I'm using the auger. It gives me an extra bout eight hundred pounds and a little water goes a long way when digging in moist clay.

What is the JCB165? How big is it? Is it in the range of the little Bobcat 463? Or, is it a bigger machine? I've only used the Bobcats, and am totally unfamiliar with the other brands.

I don't expect the skidsteer to be the saving grace when digging holes and that. I hope it will be better than my little Kubota with no down pressure at all. Around here, I can put my 9" auger down and watch it spin on top of the ground right now. I tried to auger holes for new playsets at my sons school a couple weeks ago; a few inches down is all I could get. Another Dad brought in a small skidsteer(I was not there to see it), and buzzed out over 30 18" holes 24" deep with only minor difficulty. I could barely even scratch the surface.

All this great feedback is what I'm looking for. I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I sell the Kubota and get something else.

/ Bobcat 463 vs other brands #8  
Robert
I have a McMillian planetary hydraulic auger head with a 9" bit attached to my CAT 216. I love it. My neighbors have the 3pt augers and say there is no comparison. The SSL auger bit is sitting right there in front of you and can be positioned so much easier and it does have quite a bit of down pressure. The only time I have had trouble digging a hole was when I was digging a hole facing up hill with a dull bit in hard ground. The skid steer wanted to rock back anyways due to the incline and the rear weight the SSL. Unfortunately I was not able to go around the other side. In all fairness my uncle, who I was working for, told me that he had tried earlier with a pto auger and not been able to scratch the ground in same area. We agreed to come back to the project later this winter.
I have dug holes in residential areas with soft soil and practically punched them in.

So there you go, two different opinions. I would get the dealer to let you try the potential setup you want to buy before buying it or rent one for your next job.

Let me know if you find a good deal on a 15-18” 2” hex ended bit. I’ve been looking but everyone wants about $400 bucks so I’ll be waiting until I really need it.

Good luck
Eric

/ Bobcat 463 vs other brands #10  
I dont reccomend rubber tracks ever. Too expensive to replace($1000) and wont last long on concrete.

Bobcats are nice machines yet expensive because of the bobcat name.

New Holland makes a fine line of skid steers