Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Husqvarna yth1848xpt

Default Bobcat S150 skid steer vs. bobcat or kubota tractor...

So, here's the deal..

1. I have a lot, I mean a lot, of tricky landscaping ahead of me that will involve: some areas with pretty steep terrain, rocky soil, digging out least one pond along with dam construction; a lot of small tree removal; pushing over a lot of shallow rooted brush and making burn piles; a lot of gravel road maintenance, moving dirt around to alter the terrain in spots, etc.

2. I have very limited experience with both small kubota tractor/ backhoe and a rented small skid track bobcat with only a FEL. I don't consider myself a skilled or experienced operator, but do pay attention and can learn, especially from my mistakes. I am a lot better mechanic than I used to be.

3. I live in rural Northern California, and (with help from my grown son who is very mechanical minded with engines, hydrolics and the like) want to handle most of my own repairs and maintenance.

I'm thinking of a Bobcat S150, used with low hours if I can find a good deal on one, and, as $$ permit, a clamshell loader, backhoe with thumb, 6 way dozer blade, and maybe a flail mower. My son is a good welder and I envision making some pretty nifty attachments for removing small stumps, and ripping areas I will then push or scoop to get the terrain I want. I like the 49 hp engine, safety features, 16 GPM hydrolics and also keeping the "business end" in front of me as I work. What I am concerned about is getting in over my head with cost and repair issues.

Or.... I could get a kubota, say the L series. It would be a lot less money, easier to work on, but I fear a lot less machine for the jobs I need to do.

I guess I am not hiding my preference, but I would like to hear that I am overrating the bobcat and underrating the tractor option. I mean a lot of folk buy tractors that are not just for playing in a sandbox.....

Counseling would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by DickeyJoe; 11-17-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

On steep terrain I'd prefer to have a tractor over a skid steer.

Tractor
    Husqvarna yth1848xpt

Default Re: Bobcat S150 skid steer vs. bobcat or kukota tractor...

Is that because you could use a rear backhoe to stop a roll backwards? What's your thought?

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

I feel like a tractor is more stable on the steep ground and can go places the skid steer won't even go.

Tractor
    Husqvarna yth1848xpt

Quote Originally Posted by DT86 View Post
    I feel like a tractor is more stable on the steep ground and can go places the skid steer won't even go.
    Thanks for the input....

I recently did something similar, bought an older skid steer to move dirt into my backyard that has a decent slope. It was a no-go, the skid steer had to come out in reverse, wouldn't make it up the hill forward, just started bouncing and trying to tip backwards.

I sold the skid steer and rented a bx25 to get the job done.

Tractor
    M 9540 Kubota

It sounds (to me) like your on the right track with the SS except for the slopes. If you added the "over the tire" steel tracks to your wish list it will make a huge difference in traction and add some stability on the hills. IMHO most all tractors fel's are really built for chores or loading loose material from a pile. For real "ground engagement" digging & rooting out stumps, a SS is designed for hours of that, whereas a tractor is basically designed to pull, with the loader being an obvious simple add on handy attachment that makes a tractor more versatile around the farm.
    That go's for my 9540 as well. It's not about size but intended design purpose. From your project list, it sounds like you might also consider an excavator as one of your choices.
    We need more people to WORK for a living and less people to VOTE for a living!
    (proven on 11/6/12)

Tractor
    Husqvarna yth1848xpt

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyiron View Post
    It sounds (to me) like your on the right track with the SS except for the slopes. If you added the "over the tire" steel tracks to your wish list it will make a huge difference in traction and add some stability on the hills. IMHO most all tractors fel's are really built for chores or loading loose material from a pile. For real "ground engagement" digging & rooting out stumps, a SS is designed for hours of that, whereas a tractor is basically designed to pull, with the loader being an obvious simple add on handy attachment that makes a tractor more versatile around the farm.
    That go's for my 9540 as well. It's not about size but intended design purpose. From your project list, it sounds like you might also consider an excavator as one of your choices.
    Thanks for the point about tractors being the pulling machine that replaced the horse. They do good work but I'm afraid that, for what faces me, I'm looking for a digger and pusher more than a puller. Now, to convince my wife I won't be digging my own accident grave and paying a lot for the privilege!

Tractor
    Toolcat 5610 F. Bobcat V417 Versahandler. TORO+Loader

Thumbs up Re: Bobcat S150 skid steer vs. bobcat or kukota tractor...

Quote Originally Posted by DickeyJoe View Post
    Thanks for the point about tractors being the pulling machine that replaced the horse. They do good work but I'm afraid that, for what faces me, I'm looking for a digger and pusher more than a puller. Now, to convince my wife I won't be digging my own accident grave and paying a lot for the privilege!
    My compact telehandler will out work a skid steer for digging and everything else!
    Bobcat S150 skid steer vs. bobcat or kukota tractor...-p3200021.jpg Bobcat S150 skid steer vs. bobcat or kukota tractor...-p3200023.jpg Bobcat S150 skid steer vs. bobcat or kukota tractor...-p4180002.jpg

With a grapple.
    Bobcat S150 skid steer vs. bobcat or kukota tractor...-p4080008.jpg Bobcat S150 skid steer vs. bobcat or kukota tractor...-p4140018.jpg Bobcat S150 skid steer vs. bobcat or kukota tractor...-p4200008.jpg

With a 7' brush hog.
    Bobcat S150 skid steer vs. bobcat or kukota tractor...-pa010009.jpg Bobcat S150 skid steer vs. bobcat or kukota tractor...-pa010010.jpg Bobcat S150 skid steer vs. bobcat or kukota tractor...-pa010016.jpg

With a 6' boxblade on a three point adapter on a tilt-tach
    Bobcat S150 skid steer vs. bobcat or kukota tractor...-p4230002.jpg Bobcat S150 skid steer vs. bobcat or kukota tractor...-p4230005.jpg Bobcat S150 skid steer vs. bobcat or kukota tractor...-p4230007-m.jpg

Check this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...ml#post3243370
    My Avatar, the TORO+Loader: Kwik-Way FEL and TORO Groundsmaster Put Together

Compact Telehandler:
    V417 Versahander

Tractor
    Husqvarna yth1848xpt

Wow.. That is one amazing rig you have there! Wish I could afford half of what I see there. Really "versatile" as the name implies. Thanks for the idea. It does widen my horizon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast