743B brush cutter?

/ 743B brush cutter? #1  

wbecker

Tractor
4 Allis, 1 JD, 1 Bobcat
I have a 743B it has a 12 GPM hydraulic pump. I would like to use a 60" brush mower. Looks like most 60" are rated at 15-22 GPM.
Has anyone had experience running a 15-22 GPM mower with a 12 GPM pump? how well would it work? I know I could get a 48" matched better to my 743B, but would rather have 60" if it would work ok.

/ 743B brush cutter? #2  
The lower GPM means blade speed on the cutter is slower so you would have to travel slower. Your 12 GPM flow is 80% of minimum recommended so try to calculate how faster or longer it will take to cut the same area @ 80% of travel speed cutting 60" versus 20% faster speed cutting 48" swath.

/ 743B brush cutter? #3  
Like SSDoxie said, you have less than the minimum required for the hydraulic motor. Are you looking at a brushcat? That's a lot of weight out in front of a 743.
There may be other brands where you can find a smaller output hydro motor..maybe a 4' cutter.
It may be an option to use a hydraulic to pto conversion. More hassle but you can definitely find a 4' cutter that runs off pto.

Why not rent a little bit bigger machine for the mowing? If your 743 isn't in tip top shape, the mower is going to put a lot of strain on the cooling system not to mention the hydraulic pump trying to move and run auxiliary hydraulics.

/ 743B brush cutter? #4  
In my experience, trying to run with low flow will result in a lot of motor stalls (that is stalling of the hyd motor because there is insufficient flow). In addition, the hyd fluid will overheat as mentioned above. Last, your hyd pump will take a beating when the hyd motor stalls.

/ 743B brush cutter?
ok that's, the input I was looking for, I thing I will not get a 5' cutter.