S185 liftarms ques.

/ S185 liftarms ques. #1  

merlynr

Silver Member
Tractor
IH Farmall H, IH454,Kubota L3800,Bobcat S185
I am the 2nd owner of a Bobcat S185 and new to skidsteers. With the engine at about 1000rpms the liftarms barely move up with no load and only a bucket on and I am wondering if this is a problem or not. If I increase to 14-1500 they raise faster but not fast enough according to my sil who has limited use of skidsteers. His buddy has an older and slightly smaller Bobcat and he states that his friends is faster on the uptake. My S185 has 1600 hrs and the engine is excellent but the overall condition is fair with splashed concrete all over it and the bucket is in bad shape, so bad that I've bought another toothed bucket from a rental store that was going out of business.

/ S185 liftarms ques. #2  
Check to make sure that the aux. hydraulics aren't activated, that's about the only thing I can think of that isn't a weak pump, or something jammed in the bypass that's not letting it close all the way, siphoning off some pressure.

/ S185 liftarms ques.
Check to make sure that the aux. hydraulics aren't activated, that's about the only thing I can think of that isn't a weak pump, or something jammed in the bypass that's not letting it close all the way, siphoning off some pressure.
Thanks for the info on aux hydraulics. I'll have to get the book out to see what needs to be switched off. I'm thinking one of the switches on the sticks.

/ S185 liftarms ques. #4  
May not be anything wrong with it. Speed of the lift depends on engine RPM, how fast pump is spinning. Comparing it to another machine with different pump, lift arm design, cylinder sizes really doesn't tell anything. S185 with engine at full throttle (3000 RPM) and hydraulic oil temperature warm (140F), lift arm travel speed from full down to full raised should be 3.5 - 3.7 seconds.
If the auxiliary control was stuck on, the lift would be very slow raising (even @ full Throttle) and the bucket would be slow dumping plus the lift would not lower unless put into float and the bucket would not roll back.
having bought this used, the first thing I would do is look behind the seat and see if there is an Operator/Maintenance Manual in the compartment, if not order one. 2nd, check the drive belt tensioning idler pulley. If the idler is not adjusted with adequate spring tension, the belt could slip slightly slowing down the pump speed/oil flow.

/ S185 liftarms ques.
I think I hit the panic button on the lift arm speed because it seems ok but I haven't timed it. The book mentions about 3.6 secs or so and there was a lot of debris and mud under the foot controls which I have partially cleaned out.
Now I have another issue with the bob tach hydro attach levers. I get erratic action when raising/lowering the levers even with no bucket or attachment on it. Sometimes when they won't move I can get a little movement when I use lift up from the foot control(just slightly with heel) but don't actually raise it. It happens quite a bit but I'm thinking it's still the operator(green). My Kubota has manual quiktach and I'm liking that better right now.

/ S185 liftarms ques.
My bobtach hydro levers are now working after disassembling part of it I found that the right arm would barely move without binding. After cleaning(dried concrete and dirt)and oiling shafts and greasing all front fittings(one missing and one broken off) the bobtach is working smoothly.