Help: ACS Error on Bobcat Skid Steer

/ Help: ACS Error on Bobcat Skid Steer #1  

Gatorboy

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M8950, Bobcat 873 SSL & Kubota ZD-331
Today I started up my Bobcat and heard 3 short BEEPS and my ACS (Advanced Control Systems) light on my instrument panel lit. My lift and tilt now does not work.

My manual says to just turn off the engine and make sure the controls are in neutral and re-start. Well, that doesn't help, that error continues to happen. The code given on my display is 32-34, which translates to Lift/Tilt valve not calibrated.

Does anyone have any idea what I can try to solve this problem? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Help: ACS Error on Bobcat Skid Steer #2  
Dave,

I really don't have any idea but have you tried disconnecting the battery for a little while and then reconnecting it. If the control panel is electrical that might help reboot it.

Eric

/ Help: ACS Error on Bobcat Skid Steer
That's worth a try. I'll try it tomorrow and see if it resets itself.

Eric,

That was a good suggestion -- but I do have a problem -- for after disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, I was able to get the tilt/lift to engage and the error to clear. The bad news is that my bucket will continue to tilt towards me when controls are left in the neutral position. If I move the bucket away from me, it will do so, but as soon as I let off, the bucket automatically tilts back towards me.

Sounds like I have some sort of hydraulic valve problem. I will have to stop by my Bobcat dealer tomorrow to see if I can correct this myself, or if I will have to load her up and drive her in to be fixed.

I checked my warranty hoping it was 24-months, but the Bobcat is warranteed for 12 months -- I've had mine for 23 months and only have 86 hours on it. Bummer.

/ Help: ACS Error on Bobcat Skid Steer #5  
Dave,
I have to believe that you’re right about the hydraulic valve problem. Somehow fluid is leaking past a valve seal and flowing to the bottom of your tilt cylinders. I once had this sort of problem on an old junky backhoe that I was lucky enough to sell to some collector.

Do you have the electronic over hydraulic controls, if so the problem could be on the electrical side of the hydraulic solenoid. Here at my regular job as an electrical technician we are constantly changing electrical solenoids that control air valves. It’s the same concept basically; otherwise it could be as simple as a bad oring in a valve.

Good luck
Eric

/ Help: ACS Error on Bobcat Skid Steer #6  
Doesn't that sound similar to when an HST creeps(an adjustment has to be made to set the thing to neutral when your foot is off the pedal so that it doesn't creep in either direction)? That, coupled with the calibration message you diagnosed, would seem to indicated something similar in the lift/tilt circuit. What I'm impressed with is the electronics that can tell you this is possibly out of adjustment. Anyway, hopefully it will just be an adjustment that you can make easily.

/ Help: ACS Error on Bobcat Skid Steer #7  
Mossroad hit the nail on the head, your actuators are not calibrated, if I remember correctly from my days at Bobcat calibration goes like this, with your elbow on the left handle push it down toward your thigh all the way till it stops, then while you hold it there reach across with your hand to the right handle and pull it down in the same fashion, then with your free hand turn the key on (dont start it, just to the on position) and hold the handles in position for 5 seconds before releasing, then start and check operation, it's very possible that this will not fix it most likely you have a bad actuator this is the calibration procedure we used when we replaced actuators, lean on the service manager at the dealership for some warranty help even tho yours is out of warranty, best I remember those actuators were about $400

I will give your idea a try first this weekend.

I went to the Bobcat dealer and he said I should open up the cab and reverse the two plugs on the solenoid. Then put the cab back down and start it up. If the error code is 32-39, then I have a bad actuator. If the same code I had before (32-34) appears, then the actuator needs to be calibrated (which sounds like the advice you gave me).

If it is the actuator, I'll try and plead my warranty case because of the fact that I only have 86 hours on this machine.

I'll know more where I stand after the Thanksgiving holiday.

I tired the handle calibration idea -- no luck.

I then opened up my cab and reversed the two plugs on the solenoid. Closed cab. Started up, and have the SAME error code. I guess this means the actuator is okay, but I will now need someone from Bobcat to help me further with this problem. Argh! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I am thinking it is something in regards to the wiring in my hand control -- like a short or something.

/ Help: ACS Error on Bobcat Skid Steer #10  
Have you had a chance to work on it some more?