OTT tracksss

/ OTT tracksss #1  

JJZ 109

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380/LA344 loader/60" MMM, Bobcat S185 skid steer, JD X394 4 wheel steer mower
Have been considering over the tire tracks for my 2008 S185. Options are steel or rubber/camoplast. Steel is the lower priced option. I'd like the rubber but I'm not ready to spend $4-5k just yet.
This is basically a home use machine. I do snow removal, some minor digging and I use it with a boom pole to load 350 pound rolls of aluminum gutter coil onto a gutter machine. My main concern is not leaving wheel ruts in the yard in those times that summer has not made the clay yard rock hard.
Has anyone had experience or know of a lower cost rubber track alternative than those I've seen so far?

/ OTT tracksss
A lot of views but no replies, so it looks like some interest but maybe nobody has actually bought or used OTT's.
At any rate, I bought a set of Prowler Stealth with rubber pads. $2595 with free shipping. Supposed to be delivered truck freight today. Prowler Skid Steer Over The Tire Steel, Rubber Tracks

/ OTT tracksss #3  
I have had my loader for 10 years and just got and started using OTT, you won't be disappointed. Prior to the OTT it would sink in the lawn, not anymore. Debated on the rubber inserts, laying plywood on the garage floor is a pain, you won't regret the inserts. should have bought them a long time ago.

I had to use a spacer so they would clear. only issue I have had is in the mud the tires would spin in the tracks, i'm talking a lot of mud, just tires would never go through it. tightened tracks up so it should be better next time. Went to a turf tire for the winter, haven't had to put chains on anymore.

/ OTT tracksss #4  
How do you like the prowlers? I'm looking at the Prowler Fusion with option to buy the rubber inserts later. I have an S650, will be used in hilly, wooded area for road grading and brush clearing. Currently, I get stuck in the sand on small inclines. I'm still debating between the stealth and fusion models of the prowler. What has been your experience with the quality of these tracks? Do the rubber inserts work well in mud etc? After initial install how long does install/removal take? Tough to find any Prowler reviews.

/ OTT tracksss
Not a knock on Prowler at all, but they just aren't suited that well for my use. Installation was fairly easy. Good thing because not one piece of paper with any directions was included. A cheap metal toolbox with extra bolts, a 1/2" drive ratchet/socket and a tool to pull the track together came on the pallet. Required no spacers but I had to remove one pad from each as they were a little long for the machine. They're a little tougher on the yard than the wheels, even when trying to make gradual turns. I've removed them and have been looking for a used Toolcat.
My skid steer is mainly used to load 350 pound rolls of aluminum onto a seamless gutter machine with a boom pole during the season and for snow removal during the winter. Occasionally the forks are used to move gutter coil and wood pellets.
I'm thinking the better visibility, dump bed and 4 wheel steer of a Toolcat would suit my uses better. But they seem to be scarce in my area and like everything in the Northeast, prices are high for what you get. The tracks are rolled up, banded and sitting on a pallet. Can't decide whether to sell them or hang onto them to increase the value of the S185 if I stumble upon a trade in situation.

/ OTT tracksss #6  
ND Libertarian,
Don't remember what kind we have but I like them and they have held up better than I though they would. Taking them on and off is not hard, but it is not something you want to do offten. If you use a winch strap, hooking right about where the track goes over the wheels you can pull it togather, one guy can put them on, but works better with two. The rubber inserts, don't have them, wish i did, couldn't justify the cost. Just bought 6 sheets of ply wood to lay on the asphault. FYI, the turf tires in the winter are the ticket. Used to have to use a set of chains almost every winter, last year, didn't take them out of the bag. Good luck Steve

/ OTT tracksss #7  
Thanks for the feedback. I think they will help in my application for sure--clearing brush and making roads in a fairly hilly forest with some sand and muddy terrain. I think I will go with the Prowlers and option the rubber pads down the road. Do you think the rubber pads would slip in the dirt/mud? I have not seen any negative reviews of the prowler functionality or quality? Any other feedback? I have not seen any used Grousers or Loergings for sale that are nearby SW Michigan.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

/ OTT tracksss #8  
Looked for them used also, but most places thought to highly of them and for a little more could buy them new. We have been using ours with the old tires and rims. In the mud, the mud builds up between tire and tracks and tire will slip in the tracks. Not a lot of tread left on the old tires. Will be interesting to see what happens when we put the tracks on with the turf tires. Still way ahead with the tracks, wouldn't have been able to do what we did this year with out them. Paid for themselves! With the ply wood and the tracks, you can just keep moving ahead and when your done there won't be a mark in the lawn. With the tires you cracked the ply wood to shreads.

/ OTT tracksss #9  
I just ordered the Camoplast for my s250. After much research, inspite of a few bad reviews, I still hope that they suit me well enough. I will report back as to performance. Longevity is going to take some time :)

/ OTT tracksss #10  
I just ordered the Camoplast for my s250. After much research, inspite of a few bad reviews, I still hope that they suit me well enough. I will report back as to performance. Longevity is going to take some time :)

Update on the Camoplast rubber tracks. They are great. Made my machine a tank. Places I could never have gone, I went in and worked. An old dried up swamp that was next to the gas line was blown up about 18 years ago. The dam was no longer there but it still stands in water most times. Since we have had a drought, I took my back hoe attachment and went into the swamp and dug a ditch as I came back out. This will greatly change this area in the future. Eventually, it will dry enough to plant a food plot. My Bcat with tires would have instantly been stuck. But the track flotation let me get in and work. An hour after I dug the ditch, it was full of water. As long as they last, I will be extremely happy. But that is the issue.... will they last