New to me 873 - questions...

/ New to me 873 - questions... #1  

Drsmile

Tractor
'10 McCormick CT50U / John Deere 650 / Bobcat 873 / CAT D3
Don't post much, usually troll, read, and learn. The time has come for me to ask for help, however. I just purchased a 2000 model 873 with 1500 hrs. Runs fine. Changed oil and filters, etc.... after purchase from individual. Well, today the left left cylinder supply hose burst on me, spraying oil everywhere. I got the hose off, and will have a new one made Monday. So I need to replace the hyd fluid. Bobcat is very proud of their hyd oil. I looked in the maintenance manual under the specifications and it says to use bobcat fluid or sae 10-40. I've read folks using AW32 fluid, motor oils, delo, etc... Thoughts on if 10-40 is ok, and use synthetic or not? Also, specs say 5.3 gal res. and 13 gal for the system; is this a total of 18 gal, or is the reserve coming from the system 13gal?

One last item; where in the world is the steering level shaft that I am supposed to grease every 250hrs???

Thx for the help. I've learned so much from reading on this forum.

Chris

/ New to me 873 - questions... #2  
Better to use AW32 than motor oil. I think the 13 gl. includes the oil in the chain case, about 10 gl. in there with 5 in reservoirs leaves about 3 gl. in the pumps, motors, cooler, lines, & cylinders. You shouldn't need more than 5 gl. because once the reservoir is empty the pumps loose pressure and machine will shut down.

Steering grease point. Remove front 2 bolts in the ROPS, tip ROPS back then look right behind the steering cross-plate. Grease zerks are on the cast aluminum arms that steering levers are bolted to.

/ New to me 873 - questions...
Thx Dennis, succinct and answered all questions.

/ New to me 873 - questions...
Dennis, you were spot on. Machine took 4.75 gal of fluid to bring it to the center of the sight gauge. Used AW32. Found a 5gal bucket of it at advanced auto for $45. Much better than $200 at bobcat.... Greased the steering shaft (it took a lot of grease, so it needed it). Thx for the help.

/ New to me 873 - questions... #5  
buy a spare 5 gal! they like to sprout leaks and having it around so you can top it off and get it on the trailer or in the garage, comes in real handy. I won't go anywhere with out it.