bobcat agricultural uses

/ bobcat agricultural uses #1  

wkvwguy

Tractor
still looking
While nearing the purchase of a tractor w/ FEL, I ran across a sweet deal on a '96 Bobcat (753? I am unsure of the model but it has a 40HP Kubota diesel and 3000 hrs), 16' foot trailer, & a 1985 F250 dually dump bed for less than a new tractor w/ FEL ($10,000). Problem is I am a newbie to skidsteers. I recently purchased 7 acres of land (hills & bottom land) that had cattle on it 20 years ago, but now is a mixture of undergrowth and trees. I need to bushhog the bottoms, clear the hills, plant approx. 2 acres of corn, etc. How much can I expect the Bobcat to do agriculturally? I know the bobcat will be a stronger loader and more useful all around (especially in 5 years when we build a house), but how effective are they for breaking ground, roto-tilling, etc. Do the adapters that allow the use of 3 pt. hitch tractor implements work well? Also, Are bobcats as stable on hills as a 4 wheel drive compact tractor? Thanks for any help.

/ bobcat agricultural uses #2  
The Bobcat will likely be like a duck out of water, with the uses that you think you need equipment for. I would suggest you visit the Bobcat dealer, and look closely at the attachments they have to offer, and make an educated decision about how much you might have to invest. They will "bush hog" brush, they will till ground, they will move stumps, rocks, and level ground.

But I doubt, in my mind, a Bobcat will make you a happy camper on the property you describe. Regardless, I would consider going into this with your eyes wide open, and find someone (neighbor farmer, friend, someone you trust) who has experience you can lean on. You have a lot to learn, at least from the questions you ask. And that is fine, but want to see you happy with what you are going to be learning to operate in the future. At this stage, I wouldn't even suggest you buy a CUT with FEL until you learn more and possibly even get some "in the seat" experience. Rent maybe?

/ bobcat agricultural uses #3  
I agree with beenthere. I would get a TLB for your kind of work. Kubota L35's are very good machines, they can be spendy, but worth the money. They have a ton of attachements to use as well.

Blake
WA

/ bobcat agricultural uses #4  
My company owns two L35's and i absolutly love them. They are a blast to drive espcially the GST and very powerful. Whats odd is one has 6000 hours and one has 2000 and the only things we have to replace on this machine are hydraulic hoses and filters now and then, we have never had any major problems since we got them in 1998.

/ bobcat agricultural uses #5  
First let me say that I love my skid steer. It gets used about twice as much as my tractor. The loader and maneuverability make them really useful. With a grapple bucket you can make quick work of brush.

Since you’re working on hills if you do get the skid steer I would recommend getting tracks right away for it. It will be like the difference between night and day. They will make it so much more useful and stable. Some may say that a skid steer is not stable but my experience is that I can go places I would never take a tractor. You just have to make sure and back up the slope and work down the slope.

However this is something that you should consider. Skid steer attachments cost so much more that 3pt attachments. Go price a new hydraulic mower or tiller. They are about 4-5 thousand. The same size 3pt attachment cost about a half or a third, so by the time you get your attachments the skid steer may not be as good of a deal as you were hoping.

Now 10K for all the above listed does sound like a good deal so you will have to see I you could buy the package and use it for brush busting and then sell it or trade it in on a tractor when it’s time to plow and make out financially OK on the deal.

One last thing to consider is that none of these things listed are very new. A skid steer wears harder than a tractor so 3000hrs may be significant. You will want to take a really good look and test drive the machine before getting it. Same thing for the truck and trailer.

Eric

/ bobcat agricultural uses #6  
I have a Bobcat 873, a kubota 3710 GST, MFWD with FEL and a Case-IH DX29 hydro with MFWD. For loader work it is hands down the 873 with superior turning ability, faster hydraulics, more power, easy to see what your doing in front, etc. I also prefer digging post holes with the 873. You can see what your doing and down pressure digs faster than 3 pt. The downside to skidsteer is can tear up ground and turf, easier to get stuck (almost useless in mud) difficult to see going backwards, more noise, hotter in cab, attachments more expensive, and generally heavier. I have seen hydraulic 540 PTO plates to fit on skidsteers and run conventional 3pt equipment. Most will put out around 23-25 hp. (or so they claim). Goosen manufactuing (Harper industries) makes a product called a power plate for about $1800 and there are a few other companies.

/ bobcat agricultural uses #7  
Interesting! The Bobcat came about throught the needs of a North Dakota rancher who wanted something that could manuever easier in his barns.

Check out www.bobcat.com and see all the attachments and stuff they have.

The machine you mention will do tons of hard work. But, for hills and bottom land, they really are not made for that. in the hills even a CUT is not really super.

Make a list of the things you want to do first, and then see how each tractor lines up for the purposes you have.

The Bobcat will rototil great, it can dig, you can hook a disk or scraper up to it. Rent one and try it...

/ bobcat agricultural uses #8  
If you can afford it get both.

I have a tractor and want to get a skidsteer eventually.
A used skidsteer is a very handy thing to have.

But you can do it all with a tractor. The loader operations are much faster with the skidsteer, but can still be done with a tractor.

Fred

/ bobcat agricultural uses #9  

I've got a variety of equipment to work on our 10 acres with, but my latest is a Bobcat excavator and soon will be an A300 all wheel steer/skid loader (have to order today or lose the old price). We just got a contract on some acres in the next county and I cannot begin to list all the different things I will be doing with the newest 2.

Let me comment on one thing that stands out for klutzes like me: my ag tractor, a New Holland with Supersteer, is just plain mean to run a loader on. I simply have to guess where the bucket is. With a SSL you are right there on top of it so in spite of limited coordination, almost anyone can do things reasonably well. And as others have commented, the hydraulics are quicker, stronger, etc. And the attachments! What a variety!

I have a Bobcat 743 now and it is not easy for me to use with its idiosycratic long floor-mounted driving sticks, etc. Sometimes it actually bucks not unlike a horse! Very old style and almost dangerous. There is a completely different system on the A300 that is all hand controls. That I can deal with (I ran its little brother for a week a couple of years ago).

Your mileage may vary if you were a sports hero whose coordination never fails to impress, etc. But I would try out any SSL for some time b4 buying!

I've been away for a while (Hi, Bird, Mark, everyone!), but I'll try to fill you in on what I do as I practice & learn, etc.

Good luck with your farm!

Jim
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif