Buying Advice Buy a Bobcat 753 ?

/ Buy a Bobcat 753 ? #1  

rgood

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2210D
Guys - I'm looking at a Bobcat 753 - 1998 - 1400 and it's reasonably priced.

I have used a bobcat before but never owned one.

This is a 40 HP machine - I'm looking for something to be able to unload a pallet full of wood pellets out of my pickup and put into garage 2,000 pounds.
I think this machine can do that as long as I keep the weight low and don't drive across a field with it - Am I correct?

Also want to use it to dig post-holes - Mow between riparian buffer tree rows.

In a perfect scenario, I'd like to have a 50 HP machine, but everything I find in that range has 4,500 hours and cost $5,000 more.
What are your thoughts? Thanks

/ Buy a Bobcat 753 ? #3  
I'm going to agree with George. The 753 is not going to be happy trying to lift and move 2K. Maybe you could split the load to multiple pallets? Hopefully you're not unloading 2k of pellets very often so breaking down the load won't be a big PITA.

SimS

/ Buy a Bobcat 753 ? #4  
The 753 is rated to handle 1500lbs. Which is half the tipping load. You could get by operating on level, firm ground with some counterweight.
Or find a little larger machine.

/ Buy a Bobcat 753 ? #5  
I have been researching skid steers for several months. Auger attachments require more hydrolic flow than many skidsteers provide so be sure to spec the attachment requirements. I stumbled on a guy from texas skid steer on you tube and if you can get past his texas drawl he answers many skid steer questions for new buyers. Good Luck!

/ Buy a Bobcat 753 ? #6  
The small frame on a 753 is the downfall. It will pick up 2000 lbs, (with forks), but you'll need so much counter weight that it will be tippy with nothing on the forks. Even worse with no bucket/forks on. Mine is light in the front with no bucket on and I have no counter weights at all. Uneven ground has it pitching all over and I'm constantly trying not to lay it on its back.

After owning my machine for a little while, I have to wonder how they calculated the tipping load. Seems like a lot less weight is needed to tip it forward, either that or I'm WAY over working the little thing.

/ Buy a Bobcat 753 ? #7  
Split the load in half. its not going to like the 2,000 lbs if it picks it at all. I have a 7753, rent auger attachment, couple of times, no issues, should be same aux pump. if its priced good and you take care of it, you shouldn't loose money on it. Then if you want bigger machine use it as a trade. I am happy with mine, does everything i want and then some. I pick up and move car bodies. Chevy impala less engine and transmission. Have to have the kids hang off the back, but it does it.

/ Buy a Bobcat 753 ?
Thanks for the feedback guys - I am going to look at it tomorrow - will keep you posted.

/ Buy a Bobcat 753 ?
I bought it - So far seems like a nice machine!