Buying Advice New Bobcat S70 - Would You Take Delivery?

/ New Bobcat S70 - Would You Take Delivery? #1  

TK Steingass

Tractor
None
I need some input from you experienced guys.

I ordered a new Bobcat S70, heated cab with 48" snowblower, bucket, and turf tires. $30,000 including tax and prep. Salesman calls and says it's ready - "When can you deliver?" I say. Four days he says. I wait four days, he gets here today, the radiator fan starts running, it's belching black smoke from the exhaust, and it won't start when he turns it over.

He says, "It ran fine - can't figure out what's wrong. I'll take it back and make it right." I say, when do I get it back? He says four days. He leaves after tearing up my new blacktop driveway with his equipment.

Later on after I call him and ask if everything is "four days," is that the kind of service I should expect, and is "he the only cowboy on the ranch?" He stated that he bumped the right lever when he got out and the auxiliary flow was on, which was why it wouldn't start. That there's nothing wrong with the machine. After he got it back to the shop it ran fine. This was the first S70 he's sold by the way.

My question to you guys is if you went to a car lot to pick up your new car, would you take it if it belched black smoke and wouldn't start? Is this salesman funning me or is this a valid interlock? Would it be appropriate to ask for an additional year on the warranty to take the machine, or would you ask for a different machine?

I'm a little disappointed, to say the least.

/ New Bobcat S70 - Would You Take Delivery? #2  
I guess it sounds feasible. If you load the engine by dead-heading while trying to start it, it may not have enough revs to actually start. But it would smoke. I don't know enough about the S70 to really state that with conviction though, just a plausible guess.

The rest of his actions seem to be more questionable to me. Four day delivery? Where is his "ranch"? He should have re-loaded it and delivered it on his own time. His mistake. Not yours or Bobcats.

And how bad is the driveway? Just marks or actually torn up pavement?

I'd be very concerned with his attitude. If I remember right, you are buying this machine to clear your driveway of snow and wanted new for the warranty and added security of a new machine. So far, Ebay would have given better service than this guy. I could see this getting worse if there was a problem with the machine.

/ New Bobcat S70 - Would You Take Delivery? #3  
I can't tell you how many times I've seen this happen. I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen guys with years of experience get caught by it.

Brian

/ New Bobcat S70 - Would You Take Delivery?
Well, I decided to take delivery. The salesman bumped the auxiliary flow lever when he got out of the cab, engaging it. That's why it wouldn't start.....so it started when the aux flow lever was disengaged. We got through it with no cussin' or pumped up necks. He came over the next day and didn't make me wait so the squeaky wheel gets the grease! Thanks for your input fellas. Love this new skid steer.!!

/ New Bobcat S70 - Would You Take Delivery? #6  
I recently had a customer bring in two 463's that wouldn't start. The first one I checked had the auxiliary handle locked over, I popped it out of detent and fired it right up, and showed the driver what was happening. The second one they had taken to another shop that couldn't figure out what was wrong and had the engine half torn apart. It's handle was locked over too. As soon as I put the rocker shaft and pushrods back in it, checked the compression and injectors just to be sure, and buttoned it back up, it fired right up too.