?? about foam filled tires

/ ?? about foam filled tires #1  

jrbean1

Tractor
7753 bobcat
I have a 7753 with tire size 31x15.5x15 I am getting flats on one of the tires. Took it to farm tire shop and they cleaned the rim, checked for anything that could puncture the tube. This is the 3 tube they have put in it. At this point I am ready to foam fill the tire. I only run the bobcat about 20-25 hours ( that is with warming up the motor in winter) a years and mostly push snow with it. So I am asking other forum members out there what is there opionion to foam fill the tire..

Some of my questions are

Do I really need to do both tires?
Do you think the extra weight of the tire will mess anything up in the drive train? Due to the extra wide tire?

Thanks for any imput

Jrbean1

/ ?? about foam filled tires #2  
The only downside of foam filling on a SS is that it is not reccomended with OTT tracks. The added weight will be (mostly) helpfull. Some of the bigger places that do the foam filling would offer a cheaper fill using chunks of foam from previously filled tires and then fill around for a solid foam in the end. It was your choice. No problem in a SS with it's slow speed (with balance) but it might be in a faster machine like a road grader.
edit; I would fill all the tires or just "slime" the problem one, it might take a gallon or more in that wide tire.

/ ?? about foam filled tires #3  
foam filling on tires. were tread is mostly gone... *scratches head* may not bit a good idea. foam filling can be rather costly. and tires alone cost a descent amount as well.

20 to 25 hours a year, is not a whole lot of hours.

i would say "tube it" and then slime it as well.

have used the "green slime" in a few tires now. and have stopped many of the slow leaks in a few tires. and has saved me some ugly flat tires out and away from shed (1 plus mile walk)

/ ?? about foam filled tires #4  
I had two tires filled by Gensco and was very unhappy. They insisted the tires hold air, then proceeded to screw large sheet metal screws thru the tires into the new tubes as "vents", then said one tire leaked and charged be a fortune. Never again. Once the tire is foamed, you use it up and throw away the whole tire and rim.

I bought two new rims and tires, then installed a gallon of slime.

Buy a gallon of slime at TSC.

Gensco gets 1 star only.

/ ?? about foam filled tires #5  
When I needed new tires on my JD 6675 SS, I bought four new titan HDs and had the industrial slime installed by the dealer. Several flats later by Locus thorns the dealer suggested foam, did it and never had any problems with tires, I put about 50 hours a year on it until I sold it 10 years later, the tires still looked new (except for all the Locus thorns sticking out of them). Rough ride and price the only downsides. I would do it again, even now I form fill all my tractor front tires, not experienced any downsides yet, just need to start with a good tire (if you foam old tires, it would be a waste of money). I do green slime all other tires and slime breaks down after a few years and needs to be refreshed.

My .02 cents not adjusted for inflation...

/ ?? about foam filled tires #6  
The place I had my tires foam filled also does recaps... said it is 50% the cost of new and they do a lot of them.

Guess it depends on who does what near you.

The also make solid tires for Skid Steers...

I guess it all depends... one of the local contractor uses them... said he can't afford the down time...

/ ?? about foam filled tires #7  
Foam is expensive for that little of hours. If you can fix the leak, you would like chains. I hear they work great for snow. Find something that fits or fab a set. You should only need two