Bobcat 873 park brake questions

/ Bobcat 873 park brake questions #1  

Harry in Ky

Veteran Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers ED 40
I looked at a skid loader today with a park brake that won't hold. I haven't been able to negotiate any Bobcat websites thus far that offer a parts diagram, however I was able to find a PDF service manual that explains(among other things) removal of brake disc(s?) from the chainbox in the center of the machine. It also shows a "traction lock solenoid" which was clearly visible on the machine. The manual does NOT go into any detail as to how the system works, or anything about about how the various parts interact.
I was hoping someone with some knowledge of these machines might be able to offer a quick description of the system and maybe some of the common failures, or things to look for.

/ Bobcat 873 park brake questions #2  
There is steel plunger under the magnetic solenoid. Plunger has a steel block on it that drops down into notches in the brake discs when power to solenoid is turned off. Below is part illustration for reference. It is possible brakes were not releasing properly and rather than fix the problem someone removed the plunger and block assembly.

View attachment 873 brake parts illustraion.pdf

/ Bobcat 873 park brake questions
I suspected it might have actual brake pads, but I see that it's more of positive lock type thing. The machine was on a concrete pad today, and not on much of a grade. With the bucket off the ground, engine off, the machine was actually rolling slowly. No way that lock was in place.
Looks like once the cover is off, it should all be in view at that point.
Thanks much. Any chance you can post the text(part numbers) for that diagram?

/ Bobcat 873 park brake questions #4  
the part number list (part numbers) change depending on serial number. If you use Internet Explorer go to Bobcat.com website, choose Parts & Accessories, then parts & accessories overview, then click on Parts Catalog. Choose your model number and serial number range to view all parts illustration and part numbers for you machine. Brakes are in Drive System category.

/ Bobcat 873 park brake questions
I've already tried that. Can't seem to negotiate the page with/for model selection. No big deal. When I get back to it will do so on a weekday. There is a local Bobcat dealer, so I'll just call them with model and serial numbers once it's apart and I see what it needs.

Thanks