Buying Advice Bobcats in the 25k range

/ Bobcats in the 25k range #1  

kubota4me

Silver Member
Tractor
An orange one
I'm looking to spend about 25k on a newer (<7 years old) bobcat that won't require much servicing initially. Is that reasonable to believe I could pick one up that won't need work at this price point?

I live on a 16 acre acreage with no livestock. Small trees needing removal, prairie and horrible winters. Gravel road that needs a little periodic maintenance.

Track or tires unit?

Thanks for your comments!

/ Bobcats in the 25k range #2  
most people down here in Ms that use them regularly that I have talked to say they wouldn't have one without tracks, why they say that I have no clue.. Personally I think tracks would be more up keep and more costly when you have problems??

/ Bobcats in the 25k range #3  
My Brother bought a T300 with new tracks and 2400hrs for $31K. He owned it 3 years. Had to put a new drive motor on one side, $4500. Sold it with less than 3000hrs for $24K.

Track models are so much more productive than tired models. When looking at used Bobcats the "T" or "S" ahead of the number tells you whether it's a track unit or skid steer unit. In the industry tracked units are sometimes called CTLs (Compact Track Loader).

They are an awesome piece of equipment doing work they are designed to do. But they have limitations. A tractor offers sooooo many more choices of work it can accomplish.

If your heart is set on a CTL or SS then go for it. If you are looking for the most equipment for the dollar spent go for a tractor.

/ Bobcats in the 25k range #4  
I'm looking to spend about 25k on a newer (<7 years old) bobcat that won't require much servicing initially. Is that reasonable to believe I could pick one up that won't need work at this price point?

I live on a 16 acre acreage with no livestock. Small trees needing removal, prairie and horrible winters. Gravel road that needs a little periodic maintenance.

Track or tires unit?

Your budget and local inventory will dictate track or wheel. Both are capable in their own way.

$25K is a decent budget, but to get one that wont need much servicing be prepared to get a smaller unit (less than 75HP).

Open yourself up to other brands as well. Older Bobcat, anything from Case (445 or 440CT are excellent machines with Cummins engines), new holland, takeuchi. Stay away from older Deere units.

/ Bobcats in the 25k range #5  

Track or tires unit?

Just bare in mind that if someone is selling a Bobcat SSL they are doing it for a reason. I get 2 or 3 units a year that were bought for a great deal only to find out that the machine has issues. Insist on having the unit plugged in and check the service and warning codes.:thumbsup: