new to me 863

/ new to me 863 #1  

6thgpSF

Gold Member
Tractor
YM1610d bobcat 863 Gh 928d
hello all.I just bought a 1998 863 w/1800 hrs. the previous owner said he only put 30hrs on it the 2 yrs he had it.However I want to change the filters and oil and hydro fluid.Can I use the universal hydro fluid that T.S.C. sells?Also can I use their diesel engine oil?I got a repair manual but got to looking at it and saw it's for the G series and my machine is F series.Is the G a newer model ?I can't seem to find a manual for the F series on Amazon or E-bay.I plan to get the filters at NAPA as the old ones are NAPA filters.he told me he put new controls on it.I don't think it has a cab heater and saw some add on cab heaters you can put in.was wondering what kind of chore it would be to do this.thanks for any info you can give me...russ

/ new to me 863 #2  
The G series is newer version of 863. G series came out in 2000 and was last version made. The electronics are totally different in G to F series.
I would not use Universal Tractor fluid in it. An ISO AW 46 is closest comparable fluid to the Bobcat fluid that is recommended.

Check filter prices with a Bobcat dealer, you may find price is equal or less than NAPA gold. If using an aftermarket filter such as the NAPA (Wix) make sure the filter number is listed in their direct fit application chart, not just an interchange cross reference number. Duetz makes that engine in 3 different cooling configurations air, water/anti-freeze mix, and oil cooled. The oil cooled used in 863 has much higher volume oil pump to circulate oil through the radiator plus engine lube thus requires a filter capable of handling the higher flow volume. There were a few occurrences of incorrect filter collapsing resulting in engine failure.

Unless there are records showing if or when the timing belt was replaced last, I would advise replacing it. Recommended maintenance is to replace at 3000 hr. or every 5 years. Should the timing belt fail it will cause push rods bending.

Not much help on a heater. I have heard of people using an electric heater but it may require upgrading the alternator to a higher amp output.

/ new to me 863
thank you SSdoxie.I'll do what you say.can I replace the timing belt w/o pulling the engine?...russ

/ new to me 863 #4  
Dealers replace the belt without pulling engine. There are special tools required. Need locator pins to position crank & camshaft at TDC then lock them in place to prevent turning and also requires a belt tension gauge to adjust idler pulley to correct tension.