853 engine knocking ,loud.

/ 853 engine knocking ,loud. #1  

DDoyle

Tractor
580 Case Extend Backhoe
Best prognosis would be appreciated given age and Hours.

/ 853 engine knocking ,loud. #2  
The 853 has an Isuzu 4JB1 engine. This same engine model with different oil pan, intake & exhaust manifolds, and flywheel
was also used in Mustang skid-loader model 960 & 2060 (2060 is turbo version of it). Thermal King also used this engine in refrigerator trailer units.

Whether to repair this engine or replace with a reman depends on amount and type of internal damage. This is a sleeved engine and Bobcat does list a complete sleeve kit with new pistons and rings. The crankshaft is Nitrate hardened so Isuzu does not offer anything but stock (original) sized bearings and the crankshaft is very expensive. A new crank would likely be about same price as a complete reman engine.

Knocking plus oil consumption indicates piston to cylinder galling/wear. If the crank and rod bearings are fine I would rebuildable. If crank journals have galling I would replace engine.

/ 853 engine knocking ,loud.
The 853 has an Isuzu 4JB1 engine. This same engine model with different oil pan, intake & exhaust manifolds, and flywheel
was also used in Mustang skid-loader model 960 & 2060 (2060 is turbo version of it). Thermal King also used this engine in refrigerator trailer units.

Whether to repair this engine or replace with a reman depends on amount and type of internal damage. This is a sleeved engine and Bobcat does list a complete sleeve kit with new pistons and rings. The crankshaft is Nitrate hardened so Isuzu does not offer anything but stock (original) sized bearings and the crankshaft is very expensive. A new crank would likely be about same price as a complete reman engine.

Knocking plus oil consumption indicates piston to cylinder galling/wear. If the crank and rod bearings are fine I would rebuildable. If crank journals have galling I would replace engine.

Hey SS, I had someone listen to it last night, the crank came thru the block at that very moment. So basically any options of repair is out the window. Have any idea cost for rebuilt and possibly where, I live in south jersey area.