High flow needed for 607 backhoe?

/ High flow needed for 607 backhoe? #1  

JJZ 109

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380/LA344 loader/60" MMM, Bobcat S185 skid steer, JD X394 4 wheel steer mower
I'm in the very preliminary stages of looking into a 607 backhoe attachment for my S185. 2008 model if that matters. If I decide to do it, the use likely won't be heavy duty. Probably some driveway or cottage road maintenance and some holes or trenches dug around my own home. My machine is standard flow. Will a 607 (or any other hoe attachment for that matter) work satisfactorily with standard flow? I have an Erskine 73 inch snowblower that's supposed to be designed for standard flow and it seem to handle it just fine.

/ High flow needed for 607 backhoe? #2  
Is the 607 a high flow attachment??

/ High flow needed for 607 backhoe? #3  
The backhoes are standard flow. You only need to run the machine half throttle or less.

Ed

/ High flow needed for 607 backhoe?
Is the 607 a high flow attachment??

Well, that's kind of my question. I've not found any specs online that seem to say one way or another. But it looks like Ed L has answered that for us.

/ High flow needed for 607 backhoe? #5  
I bought a Bradco 609 that was originally meant for a New Holland Skidsteer. I'm using it on my MF tractor which has a 11GPM pump. I run the tractor at ~1500RPM's most of the time. If I bump it to 2000, it's almost too fast. I think you'll be fine with the standard flow on your skidsteer. :)

Sounds like I'll be OK if I can find a decent used 609 when the time comes. Gotta peddle one other piece of equipment before I jump into this one. Thanks for the advice guys!

OK, new scenario:
I've sold a piece of equipment and am ready to start shopping. I'm thinking a 709 would be better than a 607 because of the added reach. But what about a newer model with stabilizers instead? Obviously more money, so I'm shopping used.
Any thoughts or opinions?

Last edited:
   / High flow needed for 607 backhoe? #9  
I wouldn't consider the 607 myself, one has to re-position often with the 709 as it is, the longer reach also lets you put the spoils further away when digging. No problem loading a 3 yard (1 ton) truck with the 709 either.

The vertical stabilizers allow you to sit close to something, for many of the jobs I've done with mine, outrigger type wouldn't work.

b3.jpg

Not an inch to spare on this one.....

Ed

I wouldn't consider the 607 myself, one has to re-position often with the 709 as it is, the longer reach also lets you put the spoils further away when digging. No problem loading a 3 yard (1 ton) truck with the 709 either.

The vertical stabilizers allow you to sit close to something, for many of the jobs I've done with mine, outrigger type wouldn't work.

View attachment 516485

Not an inch to spare on this one.....

Ed

Thanks Ed. Good advice. There's a 709 on Craigslist, a couple of hours away from me. But I'm leery of the low asking price even though they say it works good and only needs a new seat. Pictures just don't show me enough.