Skid steer services? Good business or money pit?

/ Skid steer services? Good business or money pit? #1  

sunstardude

Tractor
n/a
I hate to be that guy who starts this kind of thread but... I'm thinking of getting a skid steer and dump trailer and hiring out for whatever I can do with a skid steer. I live in a pretty busy area (central oregon), I see a lot of skid steers and mini excavators being pulled around by pickups here. Wondering if this is a good business idea or just a headache? I've used Bobcat skid steer before, always wanted to own one. Also want to get a mini excavator. Should I start with the excavator first or skid steer first? Questions, questions. New to this. Money to be made or is it a money pit?? Thanks for any advice.

/ Skid steer services? Good business or money pit? #2  
Great money and fun until you hit a utility or break something... Then the cash flow out of your pocket makes for a sad day. Insurance costs are a big damper.

I say this as an owner of a backhoe and other equipment. Was helping a neighbor dig holes to plant a row of trees. Just a favor, no money involved. He wanted a hole close to his propane tank. I said "are you sure the gas lines are clear of the proposed hole ?"
Well we went ahead with the dig. Missed the gas line but tore up his water line... And his wife was in the shower at the time ... I beat a hasty retreat when she started yelling.:confused3:

/ Skid steer services? Good business or money pit? #3  
I hate to be that guy who starts this kind of thread but... I'm thinking of getting a skid steer and dump trailer and hiring out for whatever I can do with a skid steer. I live in a pretty busy area (central oregon), I see a lot of skid steers and mini excavators being pulled around by pickups here. Wondering if this is a good business idea or just a headache? I've used Bobcat skid steer before, always wanted to own one. Also want to get a mini excavator. Should I start with the excavator first or skid steer first? Questions, questions. New to this. Money to be made or is it a money pit?? Thanks for any advice.

Do it. Set it up right as a business and take the 479 deduction right up front. Don't quit your day job unless you have steady passive income but it could be a great business IF........

IF you have experience and you know what you're doing. If you aren't experienced in building roads, correcting drainage, etc better stick to piling up burn piles and hauling stuff to the dump.

/ Skid steer services? Good business or money pit? #4  
I too see alot of skidloaders being towed all around. I would fear that in my area at least, there isn't much room. For a new guy. Everyone either has a skidloaders, or knows someone that does it seems like. Wasn't that way 10-15 years ago. But when the economy tanked, I think everyone went out and got a SS.

In my area, I think one could be more successful with a mini-ex. Doing utilities, drainage, septics, etc. But I think some of that stuff requires expensive licensing and permits.

/ Skid steer services? Good business or money pit? #5  
H1222
Right thumb switch out of range low

PLEASE HELP ME
THIS TROUBLE CODE

/ Skid steer services? Good business or money pit? #6  
IF you have experience and you know what you're doing. If you aren't experienced in building roads, correcting drainage, etc better stick to piling up burn piles and hauling stuff to the dump.
^^^:thumbsup:
As simple as a SS is (or any machine), there is a huge difference in an operator and one that can drive one. Get some experience (excuse me if you're there already) a good machine and a few select attachments and go for it!