Bobcat 2400 / 2410

/ Bobcat 2400 / 2410 #1  

cherokee1

Tractor
JD820, Daewoo DD90L, Schaeff 832, Komatsu PC40, Allis 190XT, JD750
Found specifications at the Bobcat site so I know how much it weighs, lifts etc.

Any experience with these machines? How do they compare to Komatsu WA40, Mitsubishi WS400 or Yanmar V4?

Does anybody know of a good resource for compact construction equipment such as this?

/ Bobcat 2400 / 2410 #2  
No experience with them. Probably not the most adaptable equipment around; because they're articulated, your tipping load at full turn will be significantly less.

I honestly haven't seen many of them around... I'd check with your local Bobcat dealer to see if they can give you any heads up.

/ Bobcat 2400 / 2410 #3  
I happen to have a 2410. It's fitted with the 914 backhoe. It's a good general purpose machine. Big by Bobcat standards. Haven't been around the other models for a comparison. It digs good, hydraulics are strong easy to maneuver. I haven't removed the backhoe so I Don't know what it's like without it. With the extra length and weight of the backhoe it's tail heavy. I'll try to answer any questions you have.

/ Bobcat 2400 / 2410
Oversized2

Thank you very much for your reply.

Have you identified any inherent weakness in the machine? The owner of the one I am considering has had to replace a planetary but that is all. As seems too often the case, the hour meter is not working so how much wear and tear it has is unknown.

How big a bucket will this handle?

My mission for this machine is a small tree shear and brush rake for light selective timber stand improvement and removal of floater rocks in pasture improvment. Is it sufficiently big for the purpose? I see all the lifting specifications but these do not tell the whole story.

How about engine access and visibility, the operator platform seems a long way back?

Thanks

/ Bobcat 2400 / 2410 #5  
:2cents: The Bobcat 2410 with either the 632lb rear single "tombstone" counterweight flat backed model, rear backhoe option model, rear 3-pt PTO option model, or most desirable, most expensive, and hardest to find rear 941B extend a hoe (♡ that, its funny, like hooker on a stick!) model is an AwEsOmE piece of equipment!

VERY hard to come by parts as this incredible piece of gear was produced way ahead of it's time for a limited production run of only three to four years. Most still in existence (and in operational order) are to be found in Canada for some unknown reason.

The rest are scattered throughout small agricultural communities worldwide held together by spit and duct tape to paint a visual. A number are to be found in the U.S. but due to the limited success of the product rollout, most were "donated" (think tax write-off) to various unversities, colleges, and other NPO's by Bobcat when they were owned by Melrose (sp?) under the Ingersoll Rand flagship. They all had Perkin diesel power plants to the best of ny research capabilities. A "Bluebook" is very hard to ascertain on them - to the point that my financed purchase of my used 2410 required input to my credit union by an independent heavy equipment appraisal service. Their values tend to be extremely subjective ending up as just how badly do you want it. I wanted mine VERY bad.

Yes, with the Extend-a-HOe (smirk)Backhoe attachment, PTO setup with large PTO attachment in operation or even the backhoe non-extendable backhoe with rear counterweight(s) in place, she can be arse heavy like one of the Kardashians =). However, in the absence of a rear 632lb tombstone counterweight, smaller 165lb? individual counterweight plates (max 5 allowed I believe - still available new through Bobcat in extremely limited quantities), PTO WITH attachment on board, or one or the other of the two backhoe attachments, it can be extremely FRONT heavy depending on what Bobcat attachment you're running on the front of the unit and/or what you're doing - i.e. lake effect snow removal, wet sand excavation, etc. Remember that it is a front mounted power plant unit.

This is getting lengthy and my dinners getting cold. I'll be back with more for those interested in this old war horses opinion of this unique piece of gear... Semper Fidelis, Gunny and "his" :2cents:

/ Bobcat 2400 / 2410 #6  
Well, I'm back, and about 10 years (ROTFLMFAO!) late in reply to any of the above queries. Good info though for anyone coming across one of these true diamonds in the rough and considering purchase. Not familiar with any other HE aside from my own and U.S. Military HE. I belong to a number of forums within this realm of interest and am particularly passionate about the 2410 in particular. To address the front mounted bucket size, I know of one utilized primarily for push back of piled snow mounds in commercial parking lots during heavy Northern U.S. winters due to the vastly superior reach of the 2410 as compared to any other compact skid steer/loader. The bucket utilized in this endeavor is a THREE yard light materials bucket! I mean ****! Wouldn't want to fill her with lake effect snow fresh fallen for those of us so cursed, but darn sure wouldn't even attempt w/o some "junk in the trunk" rear counterweight from embarrassing personal experience!

Not at all familiar with tree shear attachment weight, or operational capacity thereof, nor the best comparison to standard skid steer (Bobcat) model. Have heard that front operational capabilities are similar to a 873, though I don't personally own one myself. I can speak to the fact that it is far above and beyond my S150's capabilities and that the articulated feature makes for much more pleasant results when operating on someone's lawn for those of us that can't afford an all wheel steer compact skidsteer or compact loader... talk about big cheese $$$!

Gunny (and his) :2cents: worth

/ Bobcat 2400 / 2410 #7  
Gunny,

I just bought a 2410 yesterday with a 914B Backhoe with extend-a-hoe. Very tight machine it seems. I can't seem to find anywhere on the machine a way to extend the hoe, is there something I will need to add to get this to work? Otherwise, everything is very functional. Thanks.

/ Bobcat 2400 / 2410 #8  
Greetings Jcharby2000! What state are you in, besides a state of delirious happiness over purchasing a new (to you) piece of equipment? I am about to piss all over your parade however and apologize for this in advance of my next few sentences... The 2410 was only produced for three to four years as I previously stated. As such, parts for it are near impossible to obtain other than having something cobbled together, custom manufactured, or pulled off of one of the eXtReMeLy rare (and generally fully scavenged) (and whats left is known to be so unique that you need a separate bank loan for a sensor switch for example). This last bit is unfortunately what I believe to be your problem. I own a large number of 2410's, one of each revision made, plus a number of parts machines for cannibalization purposes. Whenever I come across a 2410 at a fair price I purchase it never knowing what part I'll need next. Good luck in your repair endeavors though. I wouldn't part with a single spare part that I've accumulated for love nor money. Have a great day and I wish you the best of luck with your used piece of equipment. Bobcat really was ahead of their time with this unit and concept. It is just such a shame that they didn't plan on support for the very small number of units already produced and sold when they scrapped production of them. :D Gunny out.

/ Bobcat 2400 / 2410 #9  
P.S. would still really enjoy seeing some pics of your recently purchased unit. This particular piece of equipment is very near and dear to my heart as I'm sure that you've already ascertained. Gunny

/ Bobcat 2400 / 2410 #10  
Thanks for the info. I was just wondering if there was a lever that is supposed to be there to extend the hoe, and if you knew where I should look. I am in Michigan near Saginaw.