Deere vs. Case vs. Bobcat vs. Caterpillar Skids

/ Deere vs. Case vs. Bobcat vs. Caterpillar Skids #1  

DigginLife

I've been thinking about adding a new Case 70XT to my fleet, or whatever the new 400 series equivalent is. I'm concerned about the dealer support here in Michigan, we have a new dealer (West Michigan Power & Equipment) which is just new here, after an incredibly inept, hard to get along with terribly primadonna dealer left. (Wolverine Tractor & Equipment ) so now I'm also considering a new JD 300 series, a new Bobcat, or a Caterpillar (egads! The price of those Cat stickers on the side is outrageous!)

Could anyone shed some ownership lights? I would be using it as a primary unit, to replace a Case 1845C which has been nothing but perfect ever since I owned it. Durability and ease of use for new operators is essential to me. I do not want a rubber track unit.

Thanks, I just found the forum, and love it so far!

/ Deere vs. Case vs. Bobcat vs. Caterpillar Skids #2  
Cat and bobcat are boths good...just depends on what features etc ur looking for...do yourself a faovr and skip the deere if u can.....skids arent their strong point

/ Deere vs. Case vs. Bobcat vs. Caterpillar Skids #3  
I have had most of the major brands and feel qualifier to answer and my opinion is worth just what it cost.
I think the Case 1845C is the toughest skid steer ever made. You can't wear the engine out and the hyd. pressure is so low that leaks are never much problem. The operators view is better than most and the construction is heavier than the competition. All that said A Bobcat of the same weight will dig circles around it. I dug swimming pools for years with an 1845C and then bought a Bobcat 863. The bobcat had to be ran at nearly WOT to make any HP where the Case would spin all 4 tires at an idle. It took some getting used to but the first pool I saved 2 hrs on and more on the next few. I would dig a hole 3' 6" deep X 26' wide X 46' long with the case in 6 hours, the Bobcat would do the same in 4. I also used an 885 NH and it would dig dirt as fast as the bobcat, but wasn't as manuverable coming in and out of the hole. Another plus to the bobcat was the air from cooling the engine blew out the sides and made a nice breeze. HTH, Nat

/ Deere vs. Case vs. Bobcat vs. Caterpillar Skids #4  
I love my Cat 216. I can’t say enough good things about it. When I bought mine new in 2001 I had just bought my farm and had no money. Now 4 years later I still have no money but I only have two more payments on the skid steer. Cat financed me 0% for 5 years and let me decide when I paid, meaning annually, semiannually, quarterly or monthly. I pay semiannually. They also extended the warranty to three years tip to tail. Deere was a little cheaper in initial cost but with 0% from Cat the payments were the same. I wish I would have given bobcat more of a look. Deere brought me out a 260 to try for a couple days and Cat brought out the 226. We drove both side by side and my wife insisted we get the Cat. It was the right choice. The Cat had a smoother quieter running engine, awesome controls, more comfortable operator station, ease of maintenance and did I mention my wife after driving both insisted we get the Cat. The controls are the best part of the machine. They become extensions of your hands in no time.

One thing I learned about buying this skid steer is that the dealers are like car dealers when they think you’re going to buy the other machine the price comes down and the perks come up. Both Deere and Cat counter offered a couple of times when I was dealing with them.

All these company’s have good parts support so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Good luck
Eric

/ Deere vs. Case vs. Bobcat vs. Caterpillar Skids #5  
www.lawnsite.com Has sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many threads on those darn machines. They compare EVERY skidsteer there is. Just take a peak. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Blake
WA

/ Deere vs. Case vs. Bobcat vs. Caterpillar Skids #6  
There ya go! Do take a look around both this and lawnsite.com -- there are several threads out there that are quite detailed.

/ Deere vs. Case vs. Bobcat vs. Caterpillar Skids #7  
I am a broken record on this, skipping back to the same comment every time...

Take a close look at the tracked machines. I have used small to medium Bobcats(463, S150, S185skid steers), and then two tracked units, the CAT247 and ASV-RC30. The tracked units kicked tail! I want to upgrade from my CUT,, and when I can afford to do it, I will be looking at the track-loader(specifically ASV-RC30) first!

All the brands look good; the two I used happened to be in a local rental fleet.

/ Deere vs. Case vs. Bobcat vs. Caterpillar Skids
Thanksfor all the replies, I am also reading info on the other site offered, and there is really good info there, too.

Thanks again! This may be a harder choice than I previously thought!

/ Deere vs. Case vs. Bobcat vs. Caterpillar Skids #9  

Don't fail to consider the A300 AWS machine from Bobcat, if you can use that much capacity. I love mine along with various attachments and a 430 mini-Excv.

The Kubota engines used by Bobcat are the best. 82 horses on the A300 gives lots of grunt. My has cab, ac, etc. Don't leave home without it.

In spite of the "sound cab" option, it is a noisemaker due to the low pitched predominance of sound. Even 29 DB muffs don't stop it completely. And Bobcats are not known for good visibility, in fact few SSLs are.

Definitely get Power Bobtach--makes hitching to attachments simple!

I have bought a set of turf Galaxies with it which means nada turf damage with the r4s for general use. Keep in mind nothing short of a tracked SSL will have great traction. It's the beast's nature--they don't call them SKID steers for nothing.

In addition I have a dozer blade, hydraulic fork lift forks, landscape plane, log grabber (cannot recall proper name), auger, trencher, 3 pt hitch plate w/ PTO motor, tree spade and some things I have forgotten. Got a wrist o twist for the excv, but it is heavy for my 3 ton model 430 (and it has cab and ac, too), so I bought a counterwt accessory, to be delivered soon.

Went Sec 179 /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif last year. Made salesman (and me) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, though.

Happy hunting,

Jim
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
You can tell that smile is from a guy who has not made a payment, yet!

/ Deere vs. Case vs. Bobcat vs. Caterpillar Skids #10  
Pssst... it's 81 horse. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyhow, the A300 is a great machine and I second a buncha your opinions. My only thought is that it might be a bit expensive for a first machine. But thanks for pointing it out... hope it works well for ya! (And especially, keep us posted on how it works.)