Advice on buying used Bobcat B250

/ Advice on buying used Bobcat B250 #1  

JMiller8

Great website!

Looking for information and advice on 2002 Bobcat B-250. I am looking at one with 460 hrs which came from a rental centre. From research on this site this seems like it could be the machine for me.
I had a mechanic look at it today and he said it seems in good shape and tight. His only concern was the 4 wheel steering and any damage it might do if not aligned propperly, he said the tractor was dogging, not tracking straight at all times. We or the sales people were not sure how it works. We found a lever for opening and closing a steering valve for alignment but no operating procedures. During the test drive I found backing up, the back wheels would turn the opposite direction making the tractor want to go straight. There must be something we were missing. I thought there might have been a switch to control the 4 wheel steering and its abilities for tight areas or not, but could not find one.
Can anyone tell me if this machine would do great damage to parts of our lawn we might have to drive on? How would this steering valve work to align the wheels front to back? Can a machine like this coming from a rental centre with 460 hrs have anything hiding that might show up later and be costly? I do not have a service record to look at.
Is there anything else I should be aware of with the B-250. Reading all M Chalkley has to say I think this could be a good buy. The seller is asking 25,000 CDN, brand new locally they go for 50,000 CDN. I am wondering if this is too good to be true!!

Thanks in advance,

Jason

/ Advice on buying used Bobcat B250 #2  
JMiller8:
Here is the page out of the B250 operators manual that covers the steering valve and wheel adjustment procedure.

$25k (Can) does not sound like a bad deal.

If you make this purchase and need an operation/maintenance manual, let me know (I have a few extras).

/ Advice on buying used Bobcat B250
Thanks alot, that should take care of the steering issue. I would imagine being a rental maybe people played with the valve as we did in the yard not really knowing how it works.

In researching 4 wheel steering yesterday I found that 4 wheel steering helps to do less damage to grass. Do you or anyone else operate a B-250? I would just like to confirm this is the machine for our hobby farm. Previous to finding the Bobcat I generally was looking at farm tractors with back-hoe attachments, all this to have a PTO. Looking at my list of things to do with a tractor, lots need a backhoe. We currently have a Massey 50 gas, we use with a Bush hog and snow blower. It has no loader and slowly becoming collectors item.

In comparing other farm tractors to the Bobcat B-250, I would have to spend alot more money for a similar strength loader and backhoe, with a hydrostatic transmission. None I saw had 4 wheel steering! Do you know how much maintenance these machine require or if the break down often? It would be pampered here compared to a rental centre. Do they hold their value, I can not find many for sale on the internet? I know they are fairly new under Bobcat, but it looks like they have proven themselves under EarthForce. Would you also know how those industrial tires perform, I would mostly be on firm ground, but some areas get pretty wet and soft? We also want to expand our small pond which could get pretty muddy!

I was just about to order an operators manual from a dealer near by, how could I get one from you and how much would you like for it?

Thanks again,

Jason

/ Advice on buying used Bobcat B250 #4  
JMiller8:
The B250 should be a fine addition to your hobby farm. The fact that you can buy/rent Bobcat attachments for it tends to make up for the backhoe portion being basically non-removable.

One major selling point of all-wheel-steer is that they cause less turf damage. That being said, and to address one of your other concerns, the B250 weighs in at around 6800 lbs. This is somewhat heavier than a mid-sized skid-steer, and the B250 is running the same 10-16.5 tires as said skid-steer. I have not had anyone try to run wider tires to increase flotation (for your soggy areas) but I assume they might present some clearance issues when turning.

We currently have a B250 in our dealer rental fleet (13 months, 490 hrs) and have had only one minor problem (shut-off switch) in that time so breakdown doesn't seem to be an issue. Maintenance is pretty straightforward: Engine oil, oil filter and fuel filter every 250 hrs. Hydraulic fluid/filter and air filter every 500 hrs. There are no "major" service/downtime items listed on the service schedule.

As far as holding their value- they are new enough in our market that it is kind of hard to tell, but based on the fact that you are (potentially) buying one w/ 500 hrs for half-price, I'd say they are not holding their original value nearly as well as most Bobcat skid-steers.

The Operation and maintenance manual? Send me a private message or email me your address.

Rob

/ Advice on buying used Bobcat B250 #5  
I forgot to mention- The battery disconnect switch on the Bobcat (formerly Earthforce) LB is in a TERRIBLE location. It is possible to accidentally kick it while entering/exiting or even when turning the seat to operate the backhoe. Keep this in mind if ever it won't start........

/ Advice on buying used Bobcat B250 #6  
I've rented that model machine before. It worked great. We had a reall tight access area to manuever in. I had been using a Kubota L35 TLB. It worked great, but could not manuever.

Even with 4-wheel steer, I would be leary about much travel over turf. It is a heavy machine, on reelatively small tires. Even if it did not tear the lawn, it could leave fairly deep impressions/tracks.

The machine itself worked very well for us. I would note, we bumped the kill switch accidentally. We were inches from a fence, and wound up rolling in to a fence. Also, the exhaust stack is just set up wrong. A buddy accidentally grabbed it when hopping off the tractor. Unless you look close, it is just too near to the canopy/FOPS bars.

/ Advice on buying used Bobcat B250
Hopefully the impressions won't be too bad, we would only have a few areas of manicured lawn to drive on. Otherwise I could wait for the ground to totally dry out in the summer, to work in other areas of concern.

Can anyone tell me why this machine will outperform other farm tractors of the same size HP. Bobcat B250's loader advertises 2265 lbs operating and 5340 lbs breakout. Am I missing anything when comparing to Kubota or similar, theirs might be half the capacity for the same HP??? Same goes for the backhoe!

And it seems way easier to operate both pieces of equipment from the same seat, instead of repositioning to another seat for the backhoe. During the test drive the other day everything seemed very operator friendly, on the B-250.

About the battery disconnect switch is there anyway I could install a guard over it, to be moved to activate the switch?

Thanks again,

Jason

PS BobcatBoy how can I send you a personal e-mail about the manuals?

/ Advice on buying used Bobcat B250 #8  
I think this machine is the other side of the coin. It digs well and has good pumps for running the laoder. But, it won't work well pulling farm machinery; it's niche is digging, and manuevering in tight spaces.

Although I did not use the feature, it also supports all the skid steer type tools on the loader. It is plumbed for hydraulics up there. That is nce; you could run a clamsheel bucket(I'd get one if you buy that tractor), a trencher, a hydraulic auger. Look at www.bobcat.com and check out all the tools available for the skid steers. Almost every one of them will work off the front loader of that B250.

/ Advice on buying used Bobcat B250 #9  
I am sure you'll love the B-250 as much as I do. I bought a used one... it manuvers well, better than most other tlb's. My machine does not have the battery disconnect, it appears someone broke it off. As with all machines, it could use a little more horse power.
Backhoe Marc in PA.

/ Advice on buying used Bobcat B250 #10  
Reason it will out perform a tractor I would think that the size of the lift arms are massive and the weight of Bobcat will be more.. I have around 100 hours on a S250 with out all wheel steering and it is a monster when tearing trees down etc.. lifting ..compared to my branson 4220.. the loader on the Branson doesn't come close to Bobcat when lifting and brakeout.. the S250 is one tough demolition machine..